Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen


If you ask me: "What is the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?" that answer would be different, depending on where I was in life.

For instance, a little over three years ago, if you'd asked me what was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen, I would have told you, without hesitation, that it was the sight of my wife walking down the aisle in my direction.

A couple years later, I probably would have said it was the positive pregnancy test my wife showed me as we stood, silently in a parking lot, rejoicing, but also somewhat terrified of what the uncertain future held.

Moving ahead a few months, and I'd tell you the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen was the ultrasound of my son, alive and with a healthy beating heart, inside my wife.

Fast forward approximately nine months, and my answer would change. I'd tell you the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen was the sight of my son, making his way into the world, as he did his impersonation of Superman, exiting the wound with outstretched arms.

Everything gets less concrete after that. I've seen my baby boy sleeping, and that's pretty beautiful. He's at the stage now where he smiles and laughs, and it's a beautiful thing to see my son smiling at me.

Life is beautiful, and it's full of beautiful sights and sounds.

What's the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?

No comments:

Post a Comment