Tuesday, October 23, 2012

If I Ever Teach a Class on Parenting

Photo by Creative Commons user acbo

The other day, I saw a couple from church at the grocery store. They asked me how things were going with Aidan. My response was simply, "Better, but I don't think I'll be teaching a class on parenting any time soon."

We're first time parents. It wasn't necessary to affirm we won't be telling anyone else how to be parents in the near future.

But what if we did?

Here are some of the things I'd tell my class:

Babies are born with a sixth sense. It's called "awful timing"

If you're trying to eat your dinner, talk on the phone, get work done or any other important task, you can pretty much bet on the fact that your baby is going to pitch a holy fit...soon.

You see, babies hate for you to forget that they are the center of the universe. So don't do it. Ever.

You'll eat, drink and go to the bathroom on their schedule.

And you'll like it.

At some point, you're gonna get pooped on

And peed on, and spit up on, and DEFINITELY farted on...a lot. 

They can't really help it, and I'm not gonna lie, it's kind of hilarious. Yeah, it sucks getting diarrhea on your shirt and barf on your shoulder, but God gifts us by giving our babies faces that are impossible to get mad at.

And there just is something entirely comical about the face a baby makes when he is having a bowel movement. Maybe I'm just immature, but every time my little guy looks shocked that his body is "making playdough," I crack up.

You will start to appreciate silence in a way you never thought possible 

There have been multiple times since we've had Aidan that I've found myself just sitting and doing nothing, and absolutely loving it.

I love my son, and when I'm not around him for a while, I miss him a lot and want to see him again. But when I get time to myself, it's like solid gold.

Enjoying time away from your baby doesn't make you a bad parent, even if it makes you feel that way while you're enjoying it. Or trying to enjoy it.

What would you add if you were teaching a class on parenting?

No comments:

Post a Comment