Monday, October 22, 2012

Why My Vote for a Third Party Candidate Is Not a Vote for Obama (and why you need to stop saying it is)


I don't usually talk politics. I used to. Man, did I ever used to. 

After "9-11," I listened to talk radio, non-stop. I would have political discourse with whomever would care to engage me. Wind me up and listen to the talking points. That was me ten years ago.

Fast forward to later in life, and now I barely care. 

First off, I'm almost entirely disillusioned with the politicians themselves. The original ideal was for them to represent the people who elected them, but that train went off the tracks long, long ago.

Second, I've just found that political debate rarely sparks any type of positive change or epiphanies. If anything, it ruins friendships and makes dinner awkward.

My cynicism grew so large that in 2008, I didn't even vote. That's right. I didn't show up. At all. I stayed home.

(Note: I apologize if this offends any of our men or women in the military who put themselves in harm's way to provide us the freedom and opportunity to vote. I don't take your sacrifice lightly, and I wholeheartedly appreciate and respect what you do for the rest of us.)

I just didn't care. Barack Obama or John McCain? You've got to be kidding me.

So I opted out altogether.

It's only been in recent years that I've started to look into the Libertarian party, as well as other parties and candidates who are not backed by the Republicans or Democrats.

In the past, I would never have dreamed of voting for a candidate outside the fringe. If you don't vote for one of the two main turds, you're throwing your vote away, right?

I don't believe that anymore. Here's why:

First off, I wasn't going to vote in 2008. If I'd voted for a third party candidate, tell me how that takes votes away from anyone?

It's 2012, and I'm not interested in voting for Obama or Romney. I'm not real interested in debating that, just so you know. If you're drinking the kool aid for either of them, rock on. I won't try to stop you.

What I'm trying to say is this: I am not going to vote for either of those guys. So, I'll either vote for someone who stands for what I believe in, or I'll stay home. If I vote for a third party candidate, that's not a vote for Obama. It's not a vote against Romney. It's a vote for who I vote for. It's really that simple.

Additionally, if we never go outside the norm, nothing will ever change, and we'll forever be saddled with voting for the lesser of the two evils. I'm done doing that. 

It may take a very long time to bring about serious change, but righteous causes aren't generally accomplished overnight.

Finally, I just want to say that it's not your business who I vote for. To the people who are going around on Facebook or in "real life," telling others that a vote for a third party candidate is the same thing as a vote for Obama: You need to shut up and mind your business. You telling undecided voters that doesn't make us want to vote for Romney. 


All of these shenanigans will be over in a few weeks. No more trashy campaign ads or debates. I, for one, cannot wait.

In the meantime, be cool. Vote for who you want. I'll do the same. 

What's your least favorite thing about election years?

No comments:

Post a Comment