Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I've Taken Miracles for Granted

Photo by Natalie Fowler

Today, my son, Aidan, is one full month old.

That blows my mind. It feels like it was just yesterday that he was born, and only a moment later that we were bringing him home -- newly minted parents who were scared to death of ruining or breaking their baby.

But, it's been a month. A month of learning. A month of sleep deprivation. A month of self-sacrifice. A month of pain. A month of depending on each other, as well as our friends and family.

And it's not okay that that is those are my initial comments when you ask me how it's been going.

There is a story, in the Bible (Luke 17: 11-19), about a time that Jesus healed 10 lepers. This doesn't resonate with you or me, because we don't know any lepers.

It might mean more if you knew a little bit about the disease, so let me break it down.

Leprosy was caused by a bacteria that got under the skin. It caused lesions, bumps and nodules that were itchy and painful. It was highly contagious, so it was easily spread from one part of the body to another.

A badly infected leper was known to suffer from sores, all over the body, that oozed puss and even smelled. Because of the contagion and the lack of knowledge regarding the treatment of the disease, no one would go near lepers.

They were quarantined and colonized. Their friends and families told them goodbye. Life was essentially over.

Have you seen the zombies on The Walking Dead? Yeah. It was kinda like that.

So, you can imagine the elation and relief that these ten men must have felt when Jesus COMPLETELY restored them and took away their disease.

I can't even fathom how it must have felt. It would be tantamount to being resurrected from the dead.

Here's the even crazier part.

Of the ten men that Jesus brought out of the pit of death, only ONE of those suckers came back to say thank you! Can you believe that? Nine men were healed of a debilitating disease and were given new life...and they didn't even say thank you to the person responsible for it!

Why do I bring all this up and what does it have to do with my kid?

Glad you asked.

For a month, when people ask how it's going, I tell them I never sleep. Aidan has been collicky and often inconsolable. We've had a very tough month, and that is what I tell people.

I don't know that it's even wrong to talk about that stuff. It's good to vent and to "talk shop" with more experienced parents, so that I can learn from their wisdom.

What isn't okay is that I make it the main topic of discussion. My misery is what supersedes everything else.

I'm not saying thank you for the miracle.

One month ago, today, a human freaking life came out of my wife's body. No less, it's a life that looks 50% like me and 50% like Kim. He's a part of me! He was born fully healthy. Kim was totally fine (notwithstanding the standard recovery issues that go along with any pregnancy).

God was good.

But, I rarely say thank you for that. I rarely start a conversation with people by telling them how blessed I am to be a parent. It's a tremendous responsibility, but it's a tremendous blessing.

I'm wrong for putting that on the back burner. That isn't a side point, it's the central, focal point of the conversation.

I haven't slept in a month, but I want you to know, I wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING.

God is good. Thank you, God, for the miracle!


What miracles are you thankful for, today?

No comments:

Post a Comment