Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Praying Expectantly


It's been a crappy month.

There. I said it. I try to be more positive and inspirational with what I say here, but, sometimes it's tough just not to vent.

That's half the reason we blog, anyway, right? If we can't vent here, where can we?

As most of you know, I was laid off a few months back. If you've been reading, you also know that my wife, Kim, and I just had our first baby, and that I've recently started my own web design business from out of our home.

It's been a roller coaster ride.

Up until a month ago, life was pretty good. Business was steadily rolling in. It felt like I really had a handle on things. I was working from home, and I felt truly free for the first time in my adult life.

But, then it dried up. I couldn't land a project to save my life. I've had lots of leads, but they've all ended in either no callbacks or, like most recently, in the potential client deciding to create their own website because it's cheaper (but tremendously uglier).

The well was tapped.

I've tried advertising on various sites. I've written hundreds of emails and made phone calls. But, it just hasn't come together.

Within the last week or so, I've heard from several friends about the idea of "praying expectantly." You know it when God is clearly speaking to you through other people in your life. It's like, everywhere you go, you keep hearing the same message. You can't escape it.

So, I'm in the middle of giving it a whirl. I'm praying that God will send work my way, but I'm being more intentional than that. Today is Wednesday. I'm praying that God will send a big job by the end of the week (Sunday). Preferably, it would be a job that would pay another month's worth of bills for us, since it as a goal of ours to never get to a point where we didn't have at least one month's bills worth of money in the bank.

We're dangerously close to the line right now, but we're trying to trust God and His providence.

I'm not sure how it will happen. Maybe I'll get an email or a phone call, today, confirming a new client. Maybe I'll go out to the mailbox to find a big, anonymous check in the mail.

But, I know it's going to come through, and I'm going to keep praying that it does.

I believe in the power of prayer. I also believe in strength in numbers. I'd appreciate it if you'd join me this week in praying for God's deliverance and provision for my family.


How can we pray for you this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment