Friday, February 24, 2012

TheIsleOfMan.Net Contest: 2012 Oscars Pick 'Em


This week, I'm taking a break from the "Friday Funhouse." I hope you'll understand. There's a lot of other stuff going on. We'll get back to it. I promise.

On Sunday night (Feb. 26, 2012), the 84th edition of the Academy Awards (aka: "The Oscars") will take place at the Kodak Theater in Los Angeles, California.

In honor of the awards, I wanted to announce two things:

1) I will be Tweeting all throughout the award show. If you're not following me, click HERE and get on that. I'd love for you to join in the conversation. To aid with this, I'll be using the hashtag: #IsleOfOscar. Hopefully, you will too. 

2) I'd like to make the awards a little more interesting by implementing a contest with a prize for you, the readers.

Check out the details after the jump (click "Read More"):

In the comments section below, place your best educated guesses as to who will win in the following categories:

BEST PICTURE

The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse


ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Demián Bichir (A Better Life)
George Clooney (The Descendants)
Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
Gary Oldman (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
Brad Pitt (Moneyball)

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE


Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs)
Viola Davis (The Help)
Rooney Mara (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)
Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)
Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn)

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE


Kenneth Branagh (My Week With Marilyn)
Jonah Hill (Moneyball)
Nick Nolte (Warrior)
Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Max von Sydow (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close)


ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Bérénice Bejo (The Artist)
Jessica Chastain (The Help)
Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids)
Janet McTeer (Albert Nobbs)
Octavia Spencer (The Help)

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

A Cat in Paris
Chico & Rita
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango


There are other categories, but those are the six I chose to make part of the contest. So do your homework and make your best predictions.

The reader who makes the most correct guesses will win their choice of the following Kindle books:


The winner will be announced on Tuesday (gives me a day to do math). It costs you nothing to play. You're encouraged to RT this post on Twitter and get your friends to come play along.

All predictions must be made by 8 p.m. ET on Sunday evening in order to qualify. No double-posts. You can only play once.

In the event of a tie, I reserve the right to choose a winner based on purely subjective criteria (ex: who I like better, who RT's me the most often, who has the pet with the most creative name, etc).


So what are you waiting for? Get guessing! 

24 comments:

  1. BEST PICTURE - Tree of Life



    ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE - 
    Jean Dujardin (The Artist)


    ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE - 
    Viola Davis (The Help)




    ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - 
    Nick Nolte (Warrior)
    ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE - Bérénice Bejo (The Artist)

    ANIMATED FEATURE FILM - A Cat in Paris
    (Confession: I haven't seen over half of these movies.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST PICTURE - The Artist
    ACTOR IN LEADING ROLE - George Clooney
    ACTRESS IN LEADING ROLE - Meryl Streep
    ACTOR IN SUPPORTING ROLE - Kenneth Branagh
    ACTRESS IN SUPPORTING ROLE - Octavia Spencer
    ANIMATED - Puss in Boots

    ReplyDelete
  3. PICTURE: The Artist
    ACTOR: Clooney
    ACTRESS: Davis
    SUPPORTING ACTOR: Plummer
    SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Spencer
    ANIMATED: Rango

    LIFETIME HUNKINESS AWARD, PRESENTED BY ME: Colin Firth (George Clooney is nominated however).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen half of them either. That's half the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lifetime Hunkiness? That's strong Leanne. High five!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I have not seen any of these movies.Can I nominate my own? Pee Wee's Big Adventure was great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best Picture: The Artist (Although that will make me sad.)
    Leading Actor: Jean Dujardin (would prefer George...)
    Leading Actress: Viola Davis
    Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer
    Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer
    Animated Feature Film: Rango

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your predictions have been noted, Miss Jamie! :) Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still amazed that Thor, Captain America and X-Men didn't get nominated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would've been awesome but those types of films are almost never nominated. There's a good deal of snobbery involved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEST PICTURE

    The Help


    ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

    George Clooney (The Descendants)



    ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE


    Viola Davis (The Help)





    ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE


    Max von Sydow (Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close)

    ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    Bérénice Bejo (The Artist)
    ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

    Puss in Boots


    It should be noted that I have only seen one movie in the entire list. Been a bit behind this year.

    Anyone want to talk movies next year? I should be quite excited about some of these by then, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And that exactly what I based my guesses on. Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If Rango wins, I'm quitting life. That movie sucked. What a waste of Johnny Depp.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun stuff Kev!
    PICTURE: The Artist
    ACTOR: Oldman
    ACTRESS: Streep
    SUPPORTING ACTOR: Plummer
    SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Spencer
    ANIMATED: Rango

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've lured the elusive Clay Morgan out of hiding. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. BEST PICTURE: Moneyball
    ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE: Brad PittACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE: Viola DavisACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Nick NolteACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Melissa McCarthyANIMATED: Rango

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it's any consolation, I think Puss in Boots should actually win.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Umm... Octavia Spencer will win. Don't be ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm hoping the pop culture professor shoots and misses on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best Picture - The Artist
    Actor in a Leading Role - Jean Dujardin
    Actress in a Leading Role - Viola Davis
    Actor in a Supporting Role - Christopher Plummer
    Actress in a Supporting Role - Octavia Spencer
    Animated Featured Film - Rango

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I did miss ONE =) My only longshot Oldman lost.

    ReplyDelete