Monday, January 16, 2012

Top signs that you might be a jerk


A real friend is someone who will tell you when you have a booger hanging out of your nose. 

It's true, but sometimes, even our real friends don't have the heart to be honest with us about our serious character flaws.

Maybe you've suspected it. You feel it, deep down. You think you're a pretty decent dude or dudette, but there's just this voice that asks a question from within your consciousness:

"Am I a jerk?"

No worries. I've got ya covered. After the jump, I've got the full guide with in-depth analysis that will help you figure out if you are, indeed, a jerk.

Check it out:

Do you ever drive in the left lane, when there's another lane available, going the exact speed limit or less than the speed limit?

When someone tries to pass you, do you speed up so they can't get around you?

Do you ever change lanes, get in front of someone and then slow down, immediately after getting in front of them?

When your driving or parked in a parking lot, do you play your music loudly enough that other people can't even hear the music in their own car?

If any of these things are true, I'm sorry. I have bad news.

You just might be a jerk. 

When you're shopping in a grocery or department store, do you ever leave your cart angled in the middle of the aisle so that no one can get through?

Do you come out of aisles without hesitating, coming dangerously close to hitting other people with your cart, then looking at them incredulously for being offended?

Do you get in the express lane with more than 15 to 20 items (depending on the store)?

When you get to the register, do you split your items up into multiple "orders" so that you can pay for them each separately with different methods of payment.

If these are things that are true of you, I hate to break it to you.

You just might be a jerk.

Do you bring your young children to public places they have no business being? When you get there, do you let them run around, act up loudly and do pretty much whatever they want?

If you place "not hurting your kids' feelings" over teaching them discipline and "not annoying everyone else in the world," I bring sad tidings.

You just might be a jerk.

Do you talk during movies?

You might be a jerk.

Do you make plans with friends on a regular basis, only to cancel on them, last second?

Jerk city. Population: You.

Do you brag about your iPhone and try to make people with Android phones feel inferior?

Caribbean JERK Chicken!

Do you read blog posts that you thoroughly enjoy and then NOT leave a comment?

Jerk, jerk, jerkity, jerk, jerk! 

(Just kidding about that last one -- sort of.)

In all seriousness, it's not too late for you. I'm here to help. This all may come as a shock to you, but I assure you: It's all in love! :)



Care to add to the list? Bring it on!

30 comments:

  1. Does this count as proof that I am not a jerk? :p Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you zoom through empty parking spaces just to get a better parking space before someone else?
    I have done some of these things. Hopefully, I'm not quite the jerk I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you pull out of your driveway or a parking lot in front of someone and then poke along?  You just might be a jerk.

    Do you put someone down just to make yourself look bigger?  Then you must might be a jerk. 

    Ohhhh soooooooooo many. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. The term Jerk has changes since the 80's. Watch a movie in the 80's and jerk meant idiot. Case in point the movie called the Jerk, Goonies they call Chunk a jerk, and Marty uses it in Back to the Future. That's just something that I've picked up on while watching movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. Yes it does. Commenting on TheIsleofMan automatically washes your jerky-ness away. It's science. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one Larry. People who battle for parking spaces definitely might be jerks! :) Glad you are in recovery. Admitting the problem is step #1.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also good additions, Bill. How about people who use the last of the toilet paper and don't change the roll? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very analytical take on the issue Shep. ha. 


    Subsequently, Steve Martin's "The Jerk" is one of the funniest movies ever made. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm you know me so well...just kidding..great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha. Was that YOU that cut me off?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I better not comment on that one since I have lived with someone for 38+ years who does that.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There used to be a song called "Cool Jerk."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadly I've been a jerk of the driving variety as it comes to speeding up to people who DARE pass me.

    At least I don't block grocery cart aisles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am happy to report that I do NONE of these things. Honest. I am about the nicest person you will ever meet.  But sadly, because of this, I am a jerk magnet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post. Lots of jerks out there. The left-lane thing is a pet peeve of mine. Also, I experienced the "children" just this weekend. Some insane parent was letting her four children run around wild at a track meet....inside the oval and near the shot put. Maybe if one of her kids gets hit with a 12 pound iron ball she will take notice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not too late to change my man. Just remember, there's a reason why people are passing you. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yo Vac. I hear you man. It's unreal. People just let their kids run a muck. Insane.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A jerk: someone who comments on your blog post for the sole purpose of promoting his own, entirely unrelated blog post, like the one I posted this morning at http://wp.me/p20z3H-fl

    ReplyDelete
  19. Let me ask my wife about this... Never mind, better not.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe I missed this! I have driven in the left lane and kept to the speed limit. But only because I was passing someone who was going    S-L-O-W-L-Y. Maybe I'm only a provisional jerk?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I believe being a regular commenter at The Isle of Man may get you off the hook...just this once. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It may be too early for me to come up with one, but I didn't want to not leave a comment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am currently typing this reply on my iPhone. It's capabilities are tremendous. In fact, it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Got it. Come back later when your brain is warm and make a contribution that is more "Larry-like." :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. there's always that person that ignores the lane merge signs for 2 or 3 miles and forces their way into the lane from the shoulder... Or "has to back in guy" in parking lots when there are plenty of spaces. Does he really have to fake you out and make you think you're getting the space he just passed?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Matt, your comment had me chuckling my friend. Both suggestions are fantastic additions to the list. Those guys are also, without a doubt, jerks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I get entirely too much pleasure out calling people out... I think that makes me a jerk. :-o

    ReplyDelete