Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Isle of Misfit Christian Bloggers



I've been blogging for a little over a year now. Yesterday, as I was getting caught up on some blogs I usually read, and checking out some other ones that I don't usually peruse, something dawned on me.

I don't fit in.

Here's what I mean.

I'm a Christian. I'm also a blogger. The norm seems to be for those two entities to combine like Voltron, making me not just a Christian who blogs...but a "Christian Blogger."

What does that mean?

Well, I believe that definition has evolved, but as of this morning that I'm writing, it tends to mean you belong to one of two diametrically opposing camps:

1) You write devotionals every single day. Your blog is dogmatic without fail. It's like Sunday School on the interwebs. So much WIN!

2) You're a "tolerant" Christian, and it's your mission to prove just how different you are than those other meanie-heads in the church.

And so, I'm completely out of place, because neither is a comfortable place for me. I hope my blog is instructional and encouraging, but never dogmatic or hurtful. However, I also believe that scripture is God-breathed, and we don't get to pick and choose which verses we get to claim, just because some of the verses make us feel bad or seem "hateful" (which is a super fun word to use on people you disagree with. It's like a magical trump card that makes logical or theological discussion no longer pertinent. Abracadabra!).

But, as I was going through these thoughts and emotions, I smiled. That's because I'm glad I don't fit in. That would be easy. My goal isn't to go around copying other writers who get a lot of traffic. I hope it isn't yours either.

Where do you fit in?

No comments:

Post a Comment