Thursday, September 6, 2012

Life Isn't What I Thought It Would Be...It's Better


I was like most kids.

I had big dreams. From the age of 10 to about 14, I wanted to be a professional hockey player. Wayne Gretzky was my hero. I even was blessed enough to see him play, in person. There are no words to describe it. I wanted to be just like him.

At 14, I picked up the guitar, along with dreams of being a rockstar musician. I played in various bands. I had songs that were played on the radio. I even did a national tour, coast to coast. Our band was in talks with a couple of small record labels. But, after five grueling years, we broke up. It just never happened for me.

I've worked just about every job you can imagine. Most recently, I was laid off from my teaching job after six years of indentured servitude.

Now, I run my own web and graphic design business from out of my home. It's a work in progress, and I'm crossing my fingers that I'll be able to make enough money to keep doing it. I love it. It's perfect for me.

I also write for a mixed martial arts (MMA) webzine called MMAmania.com. It's a part time thing. I don't get paid a ton, but it's fun, and I hope it will eventually lead to bigger opportunities.

None of this is what I had in mind when I was growing up. But, I'm not complaining.


I'm 32, I own a home (or I'll own it when it's paid off, anyway), I'm married to my best friend in the world, and I have a son who I'd die for.

I don't always stop to smell those respective roses. My prayers almost always consist of telling God what I need, as if He didn't already know.

He's provided exponentially above and beyond my wildest dreams. He'll continue to do that.

Sometimes, I think I haven't accomplished as much as I should have by my current age or station in life. The truth is, I've accomplished plenty, and I'm proud of where I am.

It's not what I thought it would be. It's a lot better.


Are you where you thought you would be? What did you want to be when you were growing up?

No comments:

Post a Comment