Thursday, June 21, 2012

Study Shows Watching TV Together Strengthens Marriages

Photo by Flickr user Deannster

I'm gonna shoot you straight. There was no study done on this subject, whatsoever. 

Well, I take that back.

There might have been, but I didn't read it. Because studies are boring, and I'm not in school anymore. So when people start giving me statistics and percentages and random inane facts, my brain goes to sleep like a computer that has been inactive for too long.

It's like my brain has a screensaver.

You'd never know. I look like I'm awake and I'm listening to you, but I'm totally wondering what it would look like if a dolphin ever tried to rob a convenience store, using an 80's slap bracelet and a rubik's cube.

Anyway.

I've never read any studies about the impact watching TV with your spouse has on your marriage. What I have done is I have watched TV with my wife.

It's something we do on a fairly regular basis. Some people go on hikes. Some couples cook together. All that is fine and good, but I think those people are failing to recognize the awesomeness of television.

Kim and I have no problem appreciating this fact.

What are our favorite shows to watch together?

I'm glad you asked.
Here's a list of our favorite shows that we're currently watching and why we love them. (Note: This is not a list of "all time greatest TV shows," so don't even come at me with questions like, "Bro! I don't see LOST on your list! What up with that?!" If it's not on right now, it's not on the list.)

Love in the Wild

This show is amazing -- and terrible -- and amazing. If you haven't seen it, it's basically like Survivor meets The Bachelor(ette)

The plot is this: A bunch of not ugly strangers are dumped on an island together where they are forced to engage in physical challenges, all the while trying to find love...in the wild. 

To boot, Jenny McCarthy is the host, and she's always good for doing something crazy.

The show isn't really safe for kids, but after they go to bed, you should check this show out.

Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition

If you can get through one episode of this show without crying, you're absolutely a robot.

The premise is as follows: Famous trainer Chris Powell attempts to change one person's health habits and, essentially, their lives through education and motivation. 

The show follows around morbidly obese people for a full year and shows how they change as they struggle to become a healthier person.

After I watch EMWLE, I feel cleansed. It's a beautiful show. They help people. How many shows on TV actually help people?

So You Think You Can Dance?

Let me be clear on this. I watch SYTYCD because I have to. 

My wife loves it, and most of the time, she's pretty good about letting me watch what I want. It's pretty brutal. I can't stand pretty much everyone on the show (especially Cat Deeley...don't even get me started).

I will say that, every now and then, there is an act that makes me stop paying attention to my laptop. Some of the hip hop dancers are pretty cool. 

I don't love the show, but I do love my wife.

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon

This has quickly become our favorite late night show. We used to be rabid fans of Conan O'Brien. I still like Conan, but Jimmy Fallon is the new king in our household.

His bits are hilarious. He has great guests. "The Roots" are easily the best band in late night television. Fallon's interviews are fantastic. They didn't start out that way, but over the course of the show's history, he really has become one of the best interviewers on the air.

We DVR it on the regular. You should too.

The Bachelorette

It pains me to this admit this, but it's true.

After months of reading Knox McCoy's hilarious reviews of the Bachelor and Bachelorette series, I finally caved.

I guess I had to to come to the point where I accepted that Knox and so many like Knox weren't faithfully watching the show because of how good it was. They were watching because it wasn't. 

More specifically, they were/are watching to ridicule the completely shallow people who go on these shows. 

I'm good with a little good, clean ridicule.


What are your favorite shows to watch? Do you watch with your spouse?

No comments:

Post a Comment