Thursday, June 28, 2012

More Weird Stuff I Never Knew about Babies

Photo courtesy of Flickr user National Media Museum

Since Kim has been pregnant, I have been receiving emails from WhatToExpect.com. Not because I signed up for them, but because Kim signed me up.

Not that I'm complaining. The emails have taught me all kinds of cool things.

For instance, this week I received an email that included the following information:
"If your little doughboy is, well, a boy, then you'll be pleased to know that this week his testicles are making their way down from his abdomen to his scrotum."
First off, why are you calling my kid a "doughboy?"

Second what were his testicles doing in his abdomen? That's just ridiculous.

Either way, I'm glad to hear that they're making the voyage to the nether regions, where they belong. Good for him. My son isn't even born yet and he's making his dear-old-dad proud.

I digress. (I do that a lot.)

Here's where you come in.

Do you have kids? If you answered "yes" to that question, then you're an expert on childbirth. Well, you're more of an expert than I am, anyway.

Tell me one thing you learned via the birth of your first child that no one ever told you. That way, I'll be totally prepared and nothing will surprise me.

Here's what I know so far (just so you don't feed me old news):

- Some babies come out looking like coneheads, but their domes go back to a normal shape, shortly thereafter.

- Umbilical cords pulsate until they're done performing their task. It's better to wait to cut the cord till the pulsating is done.

- The circumcision takes place in the hospital, before we take our baby home. (Yes, I actually didn't know that until a few days ago.)


So tell me something I don't know!   

No comments:

Post a Comment