Wednesday, March 7, 2012

TheIsleofMan.Net Interview: 'Jessica Buttram from MeetTheButtrams'


Jessica Buttram is a wife, a mom and writes at her personal blog, "Meet The Buttrams." She's also one of my favorite people to follow on Twitter. If you don't follow her, you're missing out.

Jessica was nice enough to take donate some of her valuable time to answering another round of my inane questions and helping me produce an interview that ended up being better than it should have been.

Quick note: Do you read this blog regularly or at least somewhat regularly? Do you enjoy the content? If so, why not subscribe? It's quick, easy and a nice way to say thank you to yours truly. I'm not asking for much. I commit to provide quality content to you on a regular basis. I'm asking you to commit to read it. Thanks!


Kevin Haggerty: Thanks for doing this. I appreciate you making time for me and my little blog!

Jessica Buttram: I don't know if you know this, but I have CORNERED the market on awkward dance moves. I'm doing some right now. (HONEST.)

KH: Duly noted. On your bio, one of the first things you talk about is your Filipino heritage. First off, let me say that they may exist in the world, but I've never met a Filipino-American person that I did not think was very cool. That's not a question as much as it is a statement.


KH: I choose to overlook that. You're welcome. 

What is it about your heritage that makes you the proudest?

JB: It's a nationality of people who are instantly tight-knit. Wherever we've lived (we are a military family), there would be an instant bond with anyone from the Philippines. I have several "aunts" and "uncles" who aren't actually related to me but just happen to also be from the Philippines; they've come to our weddings, baby showers, graduations, and vice versa. But, honestly, I'm sure it's like that among other nationalities when they find themselves in a foreign land. 

Oh, and the food. I should mention that we eat chocolate rice porridge for breakfast. 

KH: I also note you grew up in a big family. I did too, though mine was bigger. I'm the oldest of seven. I know I personally learned a lot of lessons through that experience that made me who I am today. If you don't mind, talk a little bit about what it was like growing up in a somewhat larger family (compared to today's standard ideals) and how that affected who you are today.

JB: The biggest thing is that you learn to be flexible, and if there's anything a bunch of siblings will teach you quick-like, it's that it's not about me. That's an important - and humbling - lesson to learn.

It's also nice knowing I have a lot of people in my corner, because they pretty much have no choice. 

Even now, when we get together and our numbers have quadrupled and it takes 45 minutes just to decide where to grab lunch and the men and babies are starving and cranky and the lady folk are exasperated, there's a beauty in knowing that wherever we end up, we are going to be the biggest, noisiest bunch in the room, and that we will all fight over the tab.

KH: What's been the most rewarding part of blogging, for you? Why do you do it? What keeps you blogging?

JB: Um, being Freshly Pressed on 2/28. Have you heard? Have you been paying attention? They tell me my Freshly Pressed patch is in the mail, and I plan on sewing it onto my Punky Brewster denim vest. 

If I don't write for awhile, I've noticed that I get grouchy. So maybe it's a self-preservation thing. There's also this blogging community filled with smart, funny people whom I never would have known existed. And some of the smartest and funniest are descending upon Nashville on March 31. You're gonna wanna get ready, America.

KH: What has been your biggest success in building a "tribe," pertaining to your writing and readers who not only follow, but interact regularly?

JB: I honestly started out our blog just updating family on my scary awesome kids. Had I known strangers were going to be reading my words, I never would have used my real name. (Just kidding.) 

I think - and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong - all I've ever tried to be is authentic, whether it's about my parenting, my faith, or the bizarre directions my brain goes sometimes, and people just naturally tend to gravitate to what is genuine. Does that make sense? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

I also try to talk about doughnuts pretty regularly, so there's that.

KH: What's your favorite thing about living in "The Deep South?" What's your least favorite thing about it?

JB: Easy, Chick-Fil-A's sweet tea. (Had to get that CFA plug in there sometime, right?)

The worst might be the pizza. Can we please get some amazing pizza down here? 

KH: Your blog fairly consistently speaks about God's love and just how beautiful it is, which I appreciate a lot. Why are you so in love with God?

JB: Because He liked me first. 

I wish I were eloquent enough and passionate enough to really describe the work that God is doing in this world, the deliberateness and action behind His love for mankind, that even though we're puny, He is interested and present. That the Creator of things so much lovelier and grander than me is smitten with me? That's a message I wish everyone could understand and, more importantly, accept.

KH: Let’s do some word association. I’ll say a word, title or phrase and you give your kneejerk reaction. For instance, if you walked up to me and said “Mayo,” I’d respond with, “You better get it the heck away from my sandwich! Mayo is gross!”

Get it? Got it? 

Good.

Donald Trump: He has phenomenal hair.

Motherhood: My divine role.

Ice Skating: Why are my ankles so weak?

Board Games: LOVE THEM SO MUCH, PEOPLE GET HURT.

Jeff Goins: He has phenomenal hair.

Tyler Perry: He should make a movie or something.

Summer Camp: SHOOT, I keep forgetting to sign my kid up.

Cornhole: I'm only really good if I have a solo cup in one hand.

Newt Gingrich: He has phenomenal hair.


KH: If you could give one piece of blogging advice to someone just getting started, what would it be?

JB: I think consistency was one of the first battles I had to face. 

Once you get into the rhythm of posting consistently (not necessarily often, but consistent enough to keep your readers engaged without sacrificing the quality of your message), then you can worry about reaching out into the blogging community. (It's a very receptive community.)

KH: My wife and I are expecting our first baby in August. What advice would you give us?

JB: Some of my favorite times with both of my kids were those middle-of-the-night feedings. Yes, I'm sleep-deprived, and haven't showered in two days, and everyone else is telling me how their baby slept through the night at 11 weeks old, but there is magic in those nights. And it's over way too soon. It's easy to get lost in the long days and even longer nights, but they won't last forever. Unfortunately, there will be times when you wish they did.

KH: What is your favorite sports team?

JB: The Auburn Tigers. Don't look so surprised.

KH: Favorite TV show of all time?

JB: I've watched all three seasons of Arrested Development several times, so...

KH: If you had to listen to one song when you woke up, every day for the rest of your life (just for the duration of the song), what song would you choose?

JB: Holy crap. Do I go spiritual and say, "Be Thou My Vision" so I can start my day with that reminder? Do I try to be the ultra-hip music lover and name some impossibly obscure song and say Rockwell Church's "She Hung the Moon"? Or try to be clever and say NeedtoBreathe's "Slumber"

I think I could probably listen to The Rescues' "Stay Over" everyday and not ever get tired of it. There's nothing deep about that.

KH: What blogs do you read on a regular basis?

JB: I just checked and there are literally 460 new posts waiting to be read in my reader just from this week. There is just so much good stuff out there, AND I WANT IT ALL. 

But the people that I check on daily are Jamie, Renee, Julie, Clay, Knox, Leanne, Tamara, and Amanda. Just because I've happened to make real connections with these people beyond just what awesome post they put up on any given day. Like, I know their real email addresses and stuff.

KH: What are your thoughts on reality TV? Do you love it? Hate it? Hate yourself for loving it?

JB: My husband is a reality TV junkie. Not the crap like The Bachelor Pad or anything, but the even crappier stuff like Swamp People and Doomsday Preppers and the World Poker Tournament. Thanks to his choice in television programming, I've ALMOST managed to hit 10,000 meters in Temple Run.

KH: What are 3 things on your bucket list?

JB: I'd like to go to Australia. I'd like to see the Northern Lights. I'd like to be a best-selling author.

KH: If you had 5 minutes left on Earth and spend it doing anything, what would you do?

JB: That this question is immediately following the bucket list question is highly suspicious. What do you know, Kevin Haggerty??? 

(To answer your question, I'd want to be surrounded by my family and staring at something beautiful and serene. Like the sunset, or Jon Hamm.)

KH: If there was one task in your life that you can permanently pawn off on someone else, what would it be and why?

JB: I really can't stand doing the dishes. They are just NEVER-ENDING.

KH: Finally, I have a question of eternal importance. It’s a big deal. How you answer will determine just how mediocre this interview ends up being.

Here it is.

I have a hypothetical situation I need help with. I'm at McDonald's. [JB: Stop right there. Turn around. Exit immediately. Find a Chick-Fil-A.] I ordered a breakfast sandwich and it isn't right. It only has one strip of bacon on it. There are people in line behind me, but I need to get this straightened out. What do you suggest I do? :)

JB: Oh, Kevin. It's probably not even real bacon.

KH: Before I let you go, is there anything you’d like to promote that we didn’t discuss?

JB: My sister started making some pretty cool prints on Etsy. I think maybe you should take a look.

KH: Thanks so much for your time and answers!

JB: Hey, I'm just glad I could help balance the dude-to-chick ratio here at the Isle of...well...Man.


Thanks again to Jessica for sharing her time and revealing some things you may or may not have known about her. Check out her blog HERE. Check out her Twitter profile HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment