Tuesday, March 27, 2012

TheIsleOfMan.Net Book Review: 'Building a Life out of Words' by Shawn Smucker


Every now and then, I find a blogger and his/her site that totally floors me and makes me wonder how I'd been oblivious enough to miss them. Other times, I'm lucky enough to have that person be a friend to me.

I've recently found both of those things in Shawn Smucker, a guy who is not just an incredible writer, but he's also a really cool, down-to-earth guy. If you don't like Shawn and the words he writes, I don't like you. True story.

Shawn blogs (almost) daily at http://shawnsmucker.com. He is currently traveling the country for four months with his wife and four children in a big, blue bus named Willie, looking for service opportunities as well as other writers to meet up with. You can find him on Facebook (Shawn Smucker, Writer) and Twitter (@shawnsmucker).

Mr. Smucker just wrote an e-book called "Building a Life out of Words," and he blessed me with the opportunity to read and review it.

Most of you know that I've been going through a very challenging time, as I just found out that my teaching contract for next year is not going to be renewed. This discovery came at a time when my wife is 20 weeks pregnant and we just bought a house.

The news left me in a the middle of a trench (where I currently sit), having to make the big decision: Do I find a safe "day job" or do I finally push all my chips in and chase my dream of being a writer?

Because of this, Shawn's book resonates with me in a big way, in that it is about the journey he went through; a journey of a husband and father of four kids who threw caution to the wind in pursuit of his dream...to be a writer.

Shawn is transparent and vulnerable as he walks through the voyage. He is open about monetary details, self-doubt and all the obstacles he had to overcome along the way.

At first, I was going to ask you guys to buy his book as a favor to me, because, honestly, it helps me and the site to professionally network in such a manner. The truth is: You will be doing yourself a favor by buying this book, and it doesn't matter if you are a writer or not.

If you're a human being whose ever had a dream, struggled with doubt or has ever wanted to feel connected to others through sharing their stories, this is a book you need to pick up immediately.

"Building a Life out of Words" is available for the super low price of $3.99 and can be downloaded in PDF, Kindle or Nook format.

I promise you will not be disappointed. To purchase Shawn's book, or just to get more information visit this link:

http://shawnsmucker.com/store/building-a-life-out-of-words/

Also, if you'd like to help further the word, and you're on Twitter, please use the hashtag: #BuildingALife.

What are you waiting for? I'm serious. Go buy the book now!

No comments:

Post a Comment