Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Oscar Observations

Billy Crystal being fabulous

The 84th annual Academy Awards were held last night in Hollywood. I tweeted throughout, so if you missed it, go back and check out my wall of tweets to get my full thoughts on everything.

I won't bore you here with all of that, but I did want to recap what I felt were the highlights of the night.

Click "Read more" to follow me after the jump and see my thoughts on the highs and lows of this year's Academy Awards:

+ First off, I have to go on record as saying I find Billy Crystal to be intolerable. He was good in City Slickers. I'm drawing the line there.

I don't think he's funny. I think he has a smugness about him that is unearned.

At one point, after Octavia Spencer won the Oscar for "Best Supporting Actress," Crystal made the following joke:
"After I watched 'The Help,' I felt compelled to hug the first black woman I saw...which is about a 45 minute drive from Beverly Hills."
It came off really crappy and politely racist. I'm not easily offended but it just was stupid.

I'm not even going to get into the fact that he started off the show in "blackface."

+ Hugo basically won a clean sweep. It made me think I may need to break down and go ahead and watch it. It got so bad that I swear audience members were rolling their eyes after a while, each time the movie won another new award for something else.

+ Nick Nolte was in the crowd and looked a million years old. Maybe it's just been a while since I've seen him, but I didn't know he was looking like THIS, these days.

+ Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianikis presented the Oscar for "Best Original Song." It was possibly the best segment of the show for the following reasons:
+ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II got completely shut out. I was hoping it would at least get "Best Visual Effects," but Hugo was not done utterly dominating.

Those were just some of the highlights. I'd love to hear yours in the comment section.

Oh yeah, you probably wanna know who won the contest.

Drumroll please...

It was a three-way tie between Clay, Jamie and Vac. I decided to be a giver and bestow a prize on all three of you. Shoot me an email at kevinrhaggerty AT yahoo DOT com.


What were your Oscar highlights?




P.S. If you read this blog quasi regularly but aren't subscribed? Why aren't you? It only takes a minute and I won't spam you...I promise! Just click HERE to find out how!

17 comments:

  1. I didn't watch the Oscars and I haven't seen many movies lately, but I did see and enjoy Hugo. I'm glad it got it's recognition. I was turned off by the commercials that made it look heavily CGI'd and fantastical. I got the opposite feeling after watching it. My mom thought it was a bit slow, which surprised me (usually her kind of movie). Probably helped that it paid homage to the early days of the film industry.

    I would also recommend it. Thanks for the recap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to see it. We have it at home, we just haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Tonight may be the night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about Zach and Will - funny just breathing.

    I'll disagree on Billy (minus the racist lapse). I preferred him over Anne and James by leaps and bounds. Ultimately waiting on Chris Rock to host...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too despised Crystal's performance. Please modernize it. Tina Fey. Chris Rock. Whatever. Whoever.

    And Meryl Streep got a bigger laugh during her acceptance speech than Crystal did.My highlight was Christopher Plummer's win, and not just because he is Canadian and his win is overdue. His acceptance speech was a stellar example of grace, charm, humor and sincerity. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't able to watch the Oscars...as I was driving back from taking Jonathan to Lynchburg College. So I can't comment on much of anything, except that I thought I liked Billy Crystal, but now I'm not sure!  You said, he started out in blackface...........OMGolly! I didn't think anyone did that anymore. Come on, it's the twenty-first century. And the joke about hugging the first black woman...! He should have been booed off the stage! How racist! 
    I haven't seen Hugo or most of the movies that were up for Oscars. But, like you Kevin, I think I will break down and see Hugo. Curious now.
    One of the ways you and I are different, Kevin, is I don't think anything Will Farrell does or says is funny. But then, that may be an age thing. Way back a million years ago, I couldn't stand Bill Murray. Then he grew on me and I thought he was hilarious. So maybe one day I will think Will is funny, too. (Although I'm kinda doubting it.)
    Thanks for sharing about the Oscars. As always, you brought a few chuckles to this old lady's life  :)  
    You're a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Bret McKenzie wrote most of the songs from The Muppets, actually. I learned that after seeing the film, and it made me love it all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea. That is awesome. I'm a huge FOTC fan. I heard that Jason Segel may actually be making another one at some point. I'd see it. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mom :) For the record, I love Bill Murray!

    ReplyDelete
  9. During our tweet conversation, you broached the idea of Ferrell and Fey hosting. That's a fantasy duo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I I feel like saying he did better than Anne and James is calling him the shinier turd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kevin, aren't you on record as saying that you thought James was funny, and you enjoyed his hosting stint?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Frankly, I watched the awards. I was mostly bored. The highlights came early--Octavia Spencer, Christopher Plummer--but the rest? I didn't feel a connection to it. Maybe it was Crystal, or maybe it was due to the fact that I hadn't seen most of the movies nominated for awards. <--yeah, it was probably that. That, and the fact that me and my whole family were fighting the crud. I watched, but couldn't muster the energy to care.

    You know who they should get to host? Shatner--he's actually funny, and at 80, far livelier than Crystal.

    Or how about Robert Downey, jr.? The guy's got both the class, and the wit, to pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jamie cheated by picking better movies than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianikis... definitely needed more cowbell.

    Nick Nolte... I had to actually google that to make sure you weren't pulling my leg...  So Nick Nolte... definitely needed a paper bag.

    ReplyDelete