Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Least of These


I don't get serious very often, particularly not here on this website. I don't know why, but whenever a serious and deep conversation sparks up, I'm only good for a few minutes before my dumb brain takes a sharp right turn into absolute left field.

I guess I just feel like life itself can be so rough. I don't want to focus on that. I don't want to ignore it either, but if I have the choice between laughing and sober mourning, I'm gonna open up the chuckle jar and help myself.

Today, I'm being serious. As serious as I'm able to make myself be, that is. I apologize in advance if this isn't your cup of tea and will understand if you need to sit this one out.

It all starts with a crazy experience I had last week...

As some of you know, I'm a teacher. I teach English, but I also teach Physical Education. Last week, I took my class outside to play "Capture the Flag" in the woods behind our school (it's a wooded area that is actually on our school's property).

We'd been outside for about 20 minutes, when I hear some ruckus coming from a section of the woods. Several of my students were running toward me, looking very excited.

Apparently, in the middle of their game, a homeless woman had wandered into the woods and laid down right where they were playing. One of my students approached her and asked her what she was doing (which I reproached him for later).

Her response, according to the student, was: "You guys need to get away from me. I can't be around minors. I've had trouble with minors in the past."

Red flag.

So, I responded to stimuli, out of concern for my students, and I did something I probably shouldn't have (in retrospect): I entered the woods.

What I saw looked like something from a horror film. I saw a woman, laying face down on the ground with her hair coming forward and covering her entire face and head. She was completely motionless, almost as if she was hiding...or worse...dead.

I could have just walked away and told someone else, but I'm a grown man, right? It would have been no less inconvenient for my principal to deal with it than it was for me. So, I stepped forward and approached her.

I said, "Ma'am? Excuse me? I'm sorry but you're going to have to leave. This is private property."

I said it as gently as possible, not knowing exactly what I was dealing with, plus, honestly, I felt bad for her and I wasn't trying to be a jerk.

It was right then at that moment that she slowly raised her face, which was covered in dirt. She was not happy. I'd disturbed her. She was mad and had every intention of letting me know about it.

"I know this is private property! EVERYWHERE is private property! I can't go anywhere! You people need to stop doing this! You've got to stop following me around! You need to either leave me alone or give me an address and let me stay there!"

At this point, she started to get up. It was clear she was not in a right frame of mind. I wasn't dealing with someone who was playing by the same rules or who even had all the cards. I slowly backed away, apologized for bothering her and exited the woods.

I wasn't going to talk her down and I had no idea what she was capable of. I love my wife. She deserves better than me being shanked in the middle of a "Capture the Flag" game in the woods by a delusional homeless woman.

That said, I also couldn't just let it go. These woods are directly behind our school. Based on my encounter with her, there was no reason to believe she wasn't at least potentially dangerous.

So I called the police.

When they arrived, they asked me a few questions, cautiously went into the woods, spoke with her for a few minutes and eventually she was on her way.

Apparently, they've dealt with her many times. She's a paranoid schizophrenic who believes that the government is after her, looking to extort money from her.

Your kneejerk reaction is probably to laugh at that, at least a little. I don't blame you. It's crazy. It's kind of funny, but largely in an uncomfortable way.

I'll wrap this up.

I believe I did the right thing, for the most part. But what if I didn't? That's somebody's daughter. It might even be somebody's mom! What if I hadn't been in such a hurry to get rid of her? What if I had just sat down and tried to have a conversation and show her love?

I think Jesus would have done that. It makes me sad how little I am like Jesus sometimes. I want to be comfortable. I want to have good things and give good things to those that love me. I go home, close the door and lock it behind me, enjoy the food and warmth inside my home and then go to bed under my nice warm covers -- never giving a second thought to the countless number of homeless men and women who are sleeping under the stars in boxes, ditches...and in the woods.



Have you ever had an experience like this one? How did you handle it?

28 comments:

  1. This is an area where I fall short, as well. It's easy to pray for the least of these, or to put money in the plate on Sunday, but interacting is often difficult. I don't know if you did the right thing. I know you did not do the WRONG thing. There's a tiny difference, but it is there. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a family, we have had a few experiences like this one and they are almost always awkward, embarassing, and sad. There aren't really any answers for how to handle it.  I think you did the best you could.  You are responsible for those kids and you did what needed to be done to keep them safe.  As a parent I know I would have appreciated that.  There might be a place for her, but it wasn't there.  If you want to try harder to help with the homeless there are countless shelters and Mobile Loaves and Fishes that hand out food, clothes, etc...and some that help with home and job placement.  Show love but done get yourself killed.  You should read @lifenut 's experience with the homeless.  It was pretty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather. That makes me feel a little bit better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fine line, isn't it? Everything changed when I got married. Now that my wife is pregnant, things are even more different. I'm not just being careful for myself, I'm being careful for two other lives. Thanks for the tips on other resources. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I feel pretty awkward around anyone I don't know, so I suck at relating to those who are different from me. With that being said, though, I have a passion for "the least of these," especially orphans. My heart starts racing every time I think of the orphans I've known and gotten to serve; I love them more than myself, for sure.

    P.S. - I just happen to be doing an exegetical paper that includes the "least of these" passage in Matthew. Just so you know, I'm pretty sure it's referring to Christian brothers and sisters in particular, though the principle of serving all who are poor and in need is definitely cohesive with the entirety of Scripture. Just wanted to throw that out there, in case anyone questions you about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While you may be right about that passage referring to Christian brothers, scripture is clear on God's desire for us to help the helpless and reach out to the poor. Jesus ministered to the poor his whole life. I'm certain He didn't ask them if they were "saved" first. :)

    It just sucks. I know that isn't eloquent. Forgive me. But it does. It sucks. Because no matter how many little deeds you do to help a homeless drifter here and there, the problem persists and it's hard to feel like you really even made a dent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a mission trip the church we were with wanted me to go with them to pray for homeless people. We met many crazy people. Met many who they said were demon possessed. Met a guy with AIDS. That was my first encounter with it. I felt so helpless. I prayed with them, but felt some of your same feelings. I prayed and left. I wish I would have done more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wild when you hear stuff like that. Nowadays, we hear "demon possessed" and we think, "Oh, that's something from Biblical times. It doesn't happen anymore." Doesn't it? I have to believe demons didn't stop being demonic after Jesus ascended back into Heaven. That's a "deep" post for another day. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright, my friend... nice, thought provoking post.  However, I personally would have had one thought above all others:
    "There is a scary, homeless woman in the woods of my school and she's talking to my kids.  She has to go."
    I wouldn't go in there and discuss things with her, I would have done 2 things.  
    1. Removed my kids from the area.
    2. Immediately called the police and let them deal with her.

    I have a zero tolerance policy for any potentially dangerous people around kids.  Their personal situation at that point is of no concern to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good thoughts, Kevin. I appreciate your honesty, primarily because I feel like I've failed so many times when given the opportunity to show love and extend grace to someone. Comforting to know I'm not alone, I guess. 


    Usually, after the encounter, when I'm replaying the scenario in my mind, I always think about Heb 13:2- "Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!"

    What if some people are placed in our path to test us? That's scary to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The kids were removed and the police were called. However, I wanted to check on what we were dealing first. They're kids. Kids exaggerate. For all I knew, they could have been just fooling around. 

    I hear what you're saying, but I still feel compassion for people like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good point Jonathan. I think about that often as well. Humbling stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah... I'm all about helping those who aren't "saved," because my love doesn't discriminate between the two. It is hard, though. It's not pretty. It's not artistic. It doesn't always make sense. It's hard. But Jesus never claimed it to be any of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. pushing his cart up and down fallbrook? Talking to crazy people usually does not go well. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember all too well. Poor guy. He was always happy though. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just don't know how to handle it.  Your first obligation was to the kids and make sure they were safe.  I think you did the right thing for them....but not sure what the right thing for her was.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had this experience, I JUST wrote about it in my blog clarissajames127.tumblr.com  Love this thought! 

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool. Thanks for sharing, Clarissa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anytime I've jumped/stepped/been dragged from my comfort zone it's always helped me see a different side of Jesus I've never seen before. One experience was when I was working as a nurse in a hospital, and a grizzled old farmer who had just received a bad prognosis burst into tears and cried on my shoulder. He said he'd never done that before, and wanted to get it all out before his family came back. I had a lot of work and was really uncomfortable, but gosh ... that moment sure wasn't about me.
    This is such a cool story, Kevin. loved it. I don't mind at all if you take walks on the serious side more often. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Ellie Ann. I'm trying to diversify...and stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had an experience like this around Christmas time.  I always TRULY try to do what I believe Christ would do, and I always seem to fall short.  Homeless woman approached me for money outside my place of business.  I gave her my last $5 and shook her hand, then told her she would be in my prayers.  But quickly, I went into my place of business, washed my hands, locked the door and watched out the window to see if she was going to bother my car.  How horrible and wrong was this?!?  I was patting my back for doing the "Christian" thing, yet I didn't do what Christ would have done, did I?  Don't feel like you are alone in this.  I believe that being mortal, we can't truly help some of the things that we do or don't do...but maybe it is a great thing that we can reflect and learn from what we did or didn't do?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Failures are always a great opportunity to learn and improve ourselves, if we're humble enough to be open to it. At this point in my life, pride has gone out the window. I know I stink and need help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really enjoy your hilarious posts, but find a post like this totally refreshing from you. I've been there too many times to count: wishing I'd have reacted differently to a friend, acquaintance, or perfect stranger. Wishing I'd have shown Christ's love in a far more evident way. Those types of situations often come out of nowhere, and I just need to get in that constant frame of mind of showing Christ's love whenever those homeless women in the woods cross my path.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thomas - First off, thanks for saying anything I do is hilarious. I'm glad you've enjoyed my posts. Means a lot to me.

    Second, I think you're really echoing what most of us feel and have already stated. We're just a bunch of failures, aren't we? ha. Thankfully, we have a God who chooses to overlook our dramatic flaws.

    ReplyDelete