Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chuck E. Cheese's: Where a kid can be the center of the universe


This past weekend, I sought to prove that I am the world's most loving uncle by setting foot in an establishment I would otherwise never go: Chuck E. Cheese's.

It was my nephew's second birthday and it was here that my brother and his wife decided to throw the lavished shindig.

No big deal. We would stop by, make an appearance, drop off our present and then hit the road.

I wish.

Before last Saturday, I hadn't been to Chuck E. Cheese's since I was a small child. I found out all kinds of things I either did not know in the first place or had blacked out through trauma.

Here's what I learned:


- They know you're either there with kids or for somebody else's. It's unlikely you're not going to eat, so they realize they've really got you in a vice grip. Kim and I got a pizza and split it, as well as a fountain drink for each of us. We ended up spending $25. Are you kidding me? For us, that'd be a decent date night. And I gotta tell ya, the management at Chuck E. Cheese's and I have different ideas of what $25 pizza should taste like.

- Other people's kids are animals. It's an epidemic that gets worse and worse as people get more and more selfish and refuse to discipline their children. For about 30 minutes, I took my nephew around the "games area" and helped him play some video games and ride some rides. I was appalled to see how many times a kid would just blatantly jump in front of us or push another kid out of the way, all the while their parents standing idly by and sheepishly doing nothing. Unreal. There were several times I was tempted to grab one of them by the ear and "instruct" them in the way they should go.

- Which brings me to my next point. Modern parents are the worst. A brand new era of "progressive" thinking mothers and fathers are in the process of absolutely ruining kids and raising them up to be self-absorbed jerks. You're not doing them any favors. They won't like you more or think you're cool. They'll just walk all over you and resent you later. They don't need you to be friends with them. They need you to be their parents.

During the party, several people told Kim and me: "Just wait till you have kids. You'll be here all the time!" Really? People underestimate me and my ability to say "no." I've gotten really good at it over the years. I haven't even hit my prime yet. My peak years of naysaying are ahead of me. 

I won't be back to Chuck E. Cheese's for a while, I promise you that. Unless it's to burn it down because God tells me to do it, in a dream. It's not outside the question. It could happen.



When was the last time you went to Chuck E. Cheese's? Care to share about the experience?

27 comments:

  1. NEVER been there.  NEVER plan to be.  'Course it helps that we didn't do things like this for our girls and that they are now 36 & 32.  Even my grandson is not into this.  Yeah! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,
         While I don't completely disagree with your comments above as a veteran of many CeC ventures I would like to offer my observations for consideration.  First - I have ate before going to eliminate having to buy food there.  But if you are planning on eating there find some coupons!  You should be able to get out of there with a pocket full of tokens and and full belly for around $20.  The food quality has gotten better than it was years ago so consider yourself lucky.  Second - In a crowd you will always find a couple of kids that act wild.  That doesn't mean they are always out of control and doesn't mean they have bad parents.  Sometimes it does but not always.  Yes, some parents are exactly like you describe, and the rest of us are just doing our best.  Sometimes the parents are great and the kids turn out rotten any way.  If I am standing there and a kid tries to cut in I let them know they will have to wait like everyone else.  Sometimes they listen and sometimes they don't.  But I do try to use those times as teaching moments for the kids I am with and I try to have a good attitude about it.  Some of the kids there do not have a good role model and you can fill that gap just by your words and deeds.  Third - Once again as a parent you do your best and pray your kids turn out to be productive citizens.  Modern parents are not worse, they have more exposure due to social media and 24/7 news coverage.  I agree that your kids should not be your friends.  Not even after they grow up and have thier own kids.  But they should be able to come to you and talk.  Finally - You may not take your kids there but you will go back.  After you have kids you will go with them and thier friends for birthdays, etc.  Just smile and remember that while you may try to forget being there, some of the kids will hold on to those memories for the rest of thier lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My last Cheese experience was as a child, and I have fond memories of it. However, I've heard horror stories of the place since then, so I've avoided it. You've only reinforced my fear. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback Anthony. You made several very good points. In particular, your comment: "Sometimes the parents are great and the kids turn out rotten" rang true. I've certainly seen many cases where parents do their very best and the kids just choose to go the other way. You may be right about me going back to Chuck E. Cheese's, but I promise you that if I do, it will be against my will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good. Ultimately, my goal is to be a fear-mongerer who makes fosters paranoia. It's in my mission statement. ha.

    But seriously. Chuck E. Cheese's will steal part of your soul that you'll never get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In our area, parents have been arrested for dropping their 9yo off to spend the afternoon. Alone. CEC brings out the worst in parents, as well as kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha. That is terrible and hilarious at the same time. What a great babysitter Chuck E. Cheese must make! He's certainly cheaper than the teenage girl down the street.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a little known fact that the primary diet of a 6-foot rat is souls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're exposing the great secret! Watch your back Heather. The rat will not be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was pleasantly surprised at Chuck E. Cheese's last Saturday. I think the one in Chesapeake is nicer than the one in Hampton. Maybe I mellowing out at my old age, but I didn't think it was so bad. I wouldn't mind having my party there  :)  Dad and I ordered salad bar, which was pretty good. I stole a piece of Brian's veggie pizza. But I did not like the sauce. So next time, Brian, ask them to go light on the sauce  :)  I think by the time we left (2ish) it was getting a little crazy. But mostly, I agree with what you said about kids, parents and today's low standards when it comes to parenting. My two cents worth to another great Blog.  :) 

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll never forgive Chuck E. Cheese for selling out and changing its name from "Showbiz". That being said, I have carried my son there for his birthday the last two years at his request. While I'm sad that he'll never experience the ball pit, I am glad he won't get bit my a venomous snake or contract a communicable disease from it.

    p.s. I own the basketball arcade game. Own. It.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I believe we could eliminate teen pregnancy if all teenagers were required to work at Chuck E for at least 6 months.  After that, it's nationwide abstinence!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Arcade basketball is what's up. It's how I train in the offseason. The offseason for what, you ask? Oh, just a little thing I like to call "greatness." :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. As much as I'd love to say I'm never going back there, I'm pretty sure we both will be back there at some point... against our will of course.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fortunately I have drive a good 45 minutes to get to one. Plus mu kids have outgrown them. I would say it's been 7 or 8 years and I don't remember what it's like. Probably because I was kicked in the head by some other parents' kid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Larry, I live an hour away. Didn't matter. Hard to say I'm not coming to my nephew's #2 bday party. I still have a little bit of heart left in me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17.  Whoo hoo!  Do I get a Chuck E. Cheese coupon?

    ReplyDelete
  18. You get a hypothetical coupon...which is infinitely better (and cheaper).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it!  It means I only have to make a hypothetical trip to Chuck E's!

    I was once asked by an elderly woman for directions to our local Chuck E's.  She was only about 2 miles from it, but I thought about mis-directing her as an act of compassion.
    Honesty won.
    Poor lady.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kevin, you definitely have to be there. Fortunately you won't just accidently run into one and find yourself there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read an article a few weeks ago about a mom who was arrested in Fresno, Ca after dropping her kid off at a Burger King play area so she could engage in a 14 hour meth binge. The binge was only 14 hours because the cops tracked her down after the intrepid 16 year old BK janitor realized that the kid wasn't part of the play area set up...but was, in fact, someone's child. Not Chuck E Cheese, but the parents were probably related to the ones discussed in one of your previous posts. 

    ReplyDelete
  22. preach it brother

    ReplyDelete