Monday, January 30, 2012

What Would You Do?


ABC has a television show that you may be aware of called "What Would You Do?" It's hosted by John Quinones, and is essentially a human behavior study, caught on film.

The premise is simple. Quinones and his crew "stage" events, using actors in public places. The events are all meant to test average, every day citizens and to see if they have the character to "do the right thing" when it's uncomfortable to do so in a social setting.

Kim and I were watching a few episodes last night on Hulu Plus (uh-mazing!) and it got me thinking about how I would actually respond to some of the situations. It was truly an intrinsic moral dilemma. I'd like to think I'd do the right thing. But I dunno. I can be a wimp sometimes. Can't we all?

So I decided to bring you along for the ride. After the jump, I've posted several video excerpts from the show. I want you to watch the videos, take a few minutes to reflect, then honestly answer in the comment section with how you would respond if you were placed these situations.

I'm challenging you. Be real. 











So be honest. What would you do in these situations?

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, I hate that show for one reason. It reminds me of how much I hate confrontation. I'd convince myself that I was on camera and probably do nothing. Maybe. See, that show messes with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your honesty. It'd be easy say we'd all do the right thing, with or without cameras. The reality is that that isn't true. How often do we see injustice and say/do nothing? We're a bunch of wimps. I'm a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to shy away from confrontation - sucktastic. I'll keep my eyes open today for opportunities to help out others, even if it's awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. me=confrontation phobic.

    didn't watch the videos. Don't make me tell my wife this show is on Hulu, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We watch that show a lot (Brooke is a big fan).  It sounds stupid, but I think the more we're exposed to situations like these, and the more often we talk/think about how we'd react, we'll actually do the right thing when the moment comes... kind of like training for any job or physical activity.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you kidding?!  You have to ask what I would do?!  You know that I would speak up. I COULD NOT stand by and let these things happen. I would probably get shot, 'cause I would not stand by and let #1...a woman be abused; #2...an old person be tormented; #3...some punk cheat a person out of his lottery winnings. I would be right there in their face. Because it is the right thing to do. You know your momma, son. I get furious with the ones who just sat back and let it happen. I probably would turn on them after everything was over with.  hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely not a confrontational person, but love this show and am fascinated by how people react to bizarreness / injustice. Would hope to be able to do the right thing in those situations, but I dunno. Makes me think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it were someone hurting or threatening someone else, I'd step in without hesitation. If it were a guy arguing with his girlfriend and calling her names, I'd mind my own business.

    ReplyDelete