Thursday, January 5, 2012

TheIsleofMan.Net Interview: 'Knox McCoy from KnoxMcCoy.com'


Knox McCoy is an accomplished writer, husband, father and appreciator of popular culture. If you've not check out his website, www.knoxmccoy.com, your computer has not properly been used yet. He is the author of the book, "Jesus and the Bachelorette." If you haven't read it, check it out HERE. Knox was kind enough to take time out of his hectic schedule to answer questions about reality TV, the "Kobe vs. Lebron" debate and many other topics that will surely affect your life in a permanent and important manner.

I know, I know. Less talk, more rock.

Here it is.

Kevin Haggerty: First off. Thanks for your time. I know you're a busy man. Thanks for "slummin' it" with us for a little bit.

Knox McCoy: What's a non-cliche way to say I'm really, really excited to be here? Stoked? Pumped? Amped? Those all seem like lines from "The Jersey Shore." I'll stick with excited. It's classy and understated. I hope so, at least.

KH: Perfect. Right off the bat, I gotta ask you: If you're here, who's running Awesometown?

KM: It's a bit of a secret. I'm a Puppet Administrator and the real decision maker prefers anonymity and discretion. Here's a hint though: think Christof from "The Truman Show."

KH: Tell us a little bit about your book, Jesus and the Bachelorette. Why should people buy it?

KM: I'm always bad at this kind of thing. If you like non-traditional parallels and analogies between Christianity and pop culture, then this is a book you'd like. You don't need to be a viewer of the show as it doesn't get bogged down in details of the show. It's really just me trying to figure out what I believe using two elements of my life (faith and reality tv). If you've ever used unconventional methods to try to understand yourself, then it will resonate with you. More on the book here, BTW.

KH: Why did you start blogging?

KM: I've always LOVED writing but saw it like being a good finger painter. Neat trick, but who cares? When my son was born, I started writing to keep family in the loop with our son's progress like any obsessive parent would and it kind of evolved from there.

KH: A lot of what you blog about on KnoxMcCoy.com is in relation to pop culture and the entertainment industry. What is it about "famous people" that fascinates you?

KM: I think it's more about the transcendence of pop culture. We ALL consume it. We may consume different elements of it but there is an invariable bleed over and this bleed over is extremely interesting to me. I can tell you about my job, but you don't really care too deeply because you don't know much about my work or what my office looks like. But you and I can talk about Sawyer's nicknames for Hurley on LOST all day long and build some kind of community around this shared knowledge. 

In a world where technology is allowing us to get more and more removed from each other, I think the consumption of and resulting conversation about pop culture is helping us stay bound together a bit.

KH: You are one of a new and growing group of bloggers who write from a Christian perspective, but not about over-the-top "Christiany" subject matter. What do you think it is that spawned this blogging "revolution" of sorts?

KM: Great question, by the way. 

I think there's a market for people who need the every day Christiany posts and good for them. But that's not me. I briefly tried that and it felt really phony. For me, and this is where I actually try to answer your question, I think modern evangelism has devolved a bit into focusing too much on the short term. People vomit evangelism and act like their job is done. I understand the motive behind that, but for me, when I know someone and vibe with them, I'm way more apt to seriously listen to them. And I think  that's where the revolution came from. People wanting to connect on a personal level more than just blurt out empty evangelism.

KH: Along those same lines, there are inherently going to be people (particularly in the Christian community) who are turned off by this kind of blogging and writing. What would you say to those people?

KM: Bite me. I'm kidding. Why would anyone tell another human to bite them as an insult anyway? Wouldn't you say, "Bite yourself? It's strange and I'm rambling.

There's a multitude of blogs out there and I hope they can find one that works for them. Meanwhile, I'm going to talk about "Saved By The Bell" and movies as much as possible and if you like that, awesome. If not, there are people that want more than meditating on Thomas Kinkade paintings every day.

KH: What's your favorite movie of all time and why?

KM: Hmmmmmmm. For me, I probably go with "The Godfather." It's so layered and nuanced (value systems vs. value systems, loyalty vs. disloyalty, father/son relationships, etc) but it's also very fundamentally entertaining.

KH: Are there any sites that you read on a regular basis?  What are they?

KM: Tyler Stanton's blog is my muse. It's what I aspire to because it's funny, always well-written, and (this is the most underrated part) informative. Every week, he always has a handful of recommendations/suggestions that make your life better. Maybe it's a book recommendation, maybe it's a documentary, maybe it's a lifestyle change (juicing or getting rid of cable). And let me hijack this question for a second. 

At the forefront of the revolution you mentioned are blogs like Tyler's. He'll never beat you over the head with what he believes, but he does good work in terms of writing/blogging/informing etc and, fundamentally, I think this is what the 'revolution' is boiled down to: be good. Be a good human, do good work and what you believe will always be seen in the most flattering light. Trouble is, people rely too much on the goodness of the gospel and they get lazy on who they are and how they interact with the culture at large.

KH: What advice would you give to someone who's just getting started as a blogger? 

KM
1.Write like a maniac. It's a muscle; the more you flex it, the stronger you get. 

2. Be you. A lot of people talk about word counts and topics and styles. Know that info, but don't let it define you. I write recaps of "The Bachelor(ette)" shows that are usually over 5,000 words and despite the word count, these are my most read posts. To me, this is because those posts reflect every aspect of me as person and writer and that kind of passion always trumps procedural obedience.

3. Interact with people. This has been my favorite part of growing my blog. I've become legit friends with tons of people many, many miles away and this has easily been the best part because I feel like I've connected with a group of people who, if I needed something serious, would help me out, and I would move mountains to help them.

KH: You're a reality TV fan. I am too, as are many Americans. What do you think it is about reality TV that glues us to the tube and keeps us tuning in?

KM: Unpredictability and the lack of brain power needed to consume. We can identify well with the contestants and there is very little difficulty in consuming the shows.

KH: If they (you know who I'm talkin' bout) could make a modern day movie of any TV show you watched when you were growing up, what would it be and why?

KM: Easy. "Saved By The Bell." But I'd get Aaron Sorkin to write it and Chris Nolan to direct. I'd want it to be gritty. Mr. Belding's inevitable depression after years as a school administrator -- What really happened with Zack and Kelly's marriage? What did Slater end up doing? There's a lot of meat there.

KH: I was dangerously obsessed with the TV show, "LOST," during its reign of terror. I was massively disappointed with the way it ended. Bryan Allain and I do not see eye-to-eye on this. Where do you weigh in?

KM: I'm pro-ending. Here's why: Everyone wanted answers to everything. But the show wasn't about the mysteries and the answers. The show was about characters and the ideal of live together / die alone. For me, the ending wrapped those things together perfectly. If you aren't a Christian, what better way to consider the afterlife than to consider that you will wait to face it with the people who meant the most to you at the most important points in your life?

KH: What's your favorite show on TV right now?

KM: I'm going to cheat a little and say a couple that just went off. I LOVE "Boardwalk Empire" and I thought Homeland was fantastic. I don't love how "The Walking Dead" is being done currently, but I default to it because of my love of zombies. 

KH: I've recently discovered AMC's "Breaking Bad," seen every episode and am hopelessly infatuated with it. Everything about it is brilliant, in my humble opinion. Have you seen it? If so, what're your thoughts on it?

KM: For me, it's in the holy trinity of Best TV Series Ever along with "The Wire" and "The Sopranos." "Breaking Bad" is 1B to "The Wire's" 1A. This season took it to a different level entirely.

KH: Let's do some word association. I'll give you a name, person or title of something. You tell me the first word (or several words) that come to mind. For instance. If you said: "Tim Allen," I'd respond with "Terribly unfunny."

Let's try a few.

Kim Kardashian: Hate what she represents but don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Being a dad: The only thing I've ever truly wanted to be.

Hemorrhoids: Terrifying.

Frosted Flakes: Overrated (Fruity Pebbles Represent)

David Letterman: Never been a fan.

iPhone: Changed how I consume information.

Joel Osteen: I bet he really likes Frozen Yogurt.

Twinkies: I prefer Starcrunch.

Justin Bieber: He really does look like a lady! That's not a cut. He's uber-talented. But he's so spritely!


KH: What's your favorite part of being a writer? What's your least favorite part?

KM: Not having enough time to do it how I want to. I love trying to take a random idea and make a functional post about it.

KH: You're in line at the "Y." You've got next. Do you pick Kobe or LeBron?

KM: Lebron. Is Kobe more clutch? Yeah. But you want to play with a guy who maximizes his team and I feel like Kobe is a ball hog who would brutally berate me when I invariably clang an open jumper.

KH: Other than your book, which is obviously the first one everyone should buy, what two books would you recommend that the readers rush out and buy immediately?


KH: We've all been there. We're in the middle of trying to share common experience and break the ice by asking a question like: "Did you see (insert name of TV show or movie)?" Most of the time, you get a very normal response which is either an affirmative answer and an emotional reaction of some sort, or a simple "No, I didn't see it." But every now and then, you encounter "that guy." He didn't see it, and he wants you and everyone else in the room to know that he didn't. He's that important. He didn't see it because he was reading the Bible to an elderly, crippled woman who he was helping cross a busy road in a bad neighborhood where he was building an orphanage for lepers. I know how I respond. 

How about you?

KM: I blithely walk away. It's hard for me to give people attention when they vociferously seek it out.

KH: I'm gonna become a daddy next year, most likely in August. It's my first time. Any words of wisdom?

KM: You have a lot of free time right now that you don't appreciate. That isn't meant to be an insult; people without kids just don't appreciate all the small moments they have to themselves. For the next 8 months, maximize this free time. Go see movies. Go on walks. Do things that you will not be able to do at the drop of a hat because once your child gets here, you won't remember how you spent that time. Also, Sleep. Like a lot.

KH: Did I miss anything? Is there anything you'd like to plug or promote?

KM: I've got my Bachelor recaps going on right now, I've got my serial novel resuming in February and another book coming out hopefully this summer.

KH: Last question. Which 2012 movie are you most excited about and why?

KM: "The Dark Knight Rises", though I am intrigued by "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter."

KH: Thanks again for your time. I really appreciate it.

KM: Best interview I've ever had. You are the Bob Vila of interviewers.


Special thanks again to Knox for his time and forthright responses. Check out www.knoxmccoy.com today, or these puppies will die. Just kidding. But seriously, they might.



33 comments:

  1. Cliche response: I loved the interview.

    But best nugget of wisdom...write like a maniac. awesome line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliche response to your cliche response: Thanks, Michael. :)

    Agreed. It's great advice. The only way to get better at writing is to just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to start using "Jersey Shore" as a verb. I was so Jersey Shored to read this interview, Kevin and Knox.  Thanks for Snookying my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I was driving to work this morning when this dude TOTALLY "Pauly D'd" me!!"

    The possibilities are limitless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this: " Trouble is, people rely too much on the goodness of the gospel and they get lazy on who they are and how they interact with the culture at large."

    And this:

    "I prefer Star crunch"

    ReplyDelete
  6. As one KH to another, how could you let KM say "
    I don't love how "The Walking Dead" is being done currently..." and not follow up on this?  What does KM mean by this cryptic statement?  Does he hate the brewing romance between Daryl and Carol and/or the fact that couples shouldn't have rhyming names? Does he dislike children with freckles and therefore dislikes Carl?   I must know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see you are a woman of diverse tastes (God's grace at one end of the spectrum -- tasty dessert snacks being at the other end). You'll fit in quite nicely around here. :)

    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. You're not just a "KH." You're a "KMH." That's like a perfect amalgamation of "KH" and "KM." Are you a spy of some sort? Who sent you?

    I feel like I'm in The Matrix.

    But seriously, I'll do my best to get to the bottom of your query. 

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen IS the matrix.

    I feel like they moved too slow this half season and didn't deepen the characters at all. I keep waiting for them to utilize flashbacks a la Lost to tell us more about our band of survivors, but instead, they only use it to show us the sexual tension between Shane and Lori. Guys. Guys. GUYS. We get it. Shane and Lori did the deed. Can we move on and can you tell me why Lori is so frigid and why Shane is a brooding psychopath?

    And yes, now that I think about it, I DO have a rule about couples with rhyming names.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knox, I agree and feel the same way. I still feel it's the best show on TV. On another note. After reading this I feel like I'm really into pop culture but I'm pathetic compared to you. You have my respect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you ever feel like you're slacking, just watch "The Soup" w/ Joel McHale on Wednesdays at 10pm. He watches it all so you don't have to. Amazing show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Knox:

    Engaging people and not just vomiting the gospel. Love it.

    And I'm only slightly insulted by the last answer, but I'm sure you'll make it up to me in black licorice.

    Kevin:

    Excellent as always. I'd say you're becoming my favorite interviewer, but then I'd owe Knox a Reese's Egg, and I like to have the upper hand when it comes to candy wars. But you've got second place handily tied up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that was so good i need a cigarette...to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Tamara. I can live with "becoming." I'm an up-and-comer. Watch out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm gonna be honest. This is either the most random thing a person has ever said or I am missing the reference. ha.

    Was it, perhaps, another one of the worst things to say, right when you walk through the door? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You guys are funny. Wonderful interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Gabriella! I appreciate the comment and am glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview. And an awesome example of what the Bible means about being in the world, but not of it. You, sir, are the real McCoy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment Chad. I'm flattered to have Mr. Randomly himself gracing my blog with his presence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good stuff all around. I could listen to Knox talk for minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's longer than my family so WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you thank you thank you, Chad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for the advise!  Great interview. 

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for reading and commenting Anya. Knox is a man wise beyond his hairs. :)

    Hope to see you around more often!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dude! Thanks! I'll have to let my wife know that I'm to hereinafter, and in perpetuity, be referred to as "Mr. Random." ;)

    Likewise flattered that you even know who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Psh. Of course I do!

    And the name change sounds like a great move. I support this. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You're the Bob Villa of interviewers? Does that mean you need a lot of improvement?
    Cold.

    ReplyDelete
  28. On my TV, Bob Vila was always the one making the improvements. I don't remember any episodes where the improvements were being made on Bob. Better get your TV looked at. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Trying to be overtly Christian in my writing feels phony, too. Best (for me) to be real, have a laugh, and plant seeds where it comes up naturally.

    Well done, Kevin.

    And I guess you too, Knox.

    ReplyDelete