Saturday, December 17, 2011

Buying a Domain Name


So, recently, I've been considering switching things up a little bit. 

I've been advised by several bloggers more experienced than myself to purchase a domain name and stop using the Blogspot URL. 

I went to GoDaddy.com to look into the prospect of hooking it up. 

TheIsleofMan.com is taken. So that won't work.

So, for giggles, I went with the personal tip. I looked up KevinHaggerty.com, fully knowing that it probably wouldn't be available. It wasn't, but GoDaddy.com wanted to offer some helpful alternatives (Disclaimer: I'm not exaggerating at all. You can't make this kind of stuff up).

Here they were:

- Kevin-Hag-Ger-Ty.com

- KevOldwomanGerTy.com

- KevUglywomanGerTy.com

- KevHagGerTy.com

The last one at least makes a little sense, but I'm not sure how I feel about GoDaddy.com calling me "Kev." We're not that close.

The first one is okay, but so many hyphens. So complicated. It totally defeats the purpose.

But seriously. "Old Woman?" "Ugly woman?" Do people really take these suggestions?

It just seemed terribly random. I'm not gonna lie. I laughed out loud. 

Thanks GoDaddy.com.

So maybe you guys can help me out with this. I need a domain name I can stick with. Kevin Haggerty is apparently too popular a name. I like The Isle of Man and have received positive feedback, but it doesn't work for the domain name.



Feedback, please!

8 comments:

  1. I didn't check these with GoDaddy.  I'm sure you'll want them all.

    First, the obvious:
       -isleofman.net

       -kevinhaggerty.net

       -isleofman.uk (exotic!)

    Beyond that, branch out!

       -kevinhaggertys-isleofman.com

      -haggertyschmaggerty.com

       -kevinth-heaven.com   -isleofmen.com

       -gilligansisleofman.com

       -isleofmannamedkevin.com

       -bringmetheheadofbigboy.com (personal favorite)

       -manoftheisle.com

    And the best for last:

       -gotoamuseorbemused.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many good suggestions. My head is swimming. Need. To. Digest.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to comment earlier on my iPod but after I loaded the comment I hit done and it disappeared. So I'm back. For me short is better. Try IOM.com or TIOM.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting suggestions. I will digest these as well.

    I'm leaning pretty strongly towards getting the domain either way though. You were one of several people who suggested it. I'm not a dummy. I only have to be told something three times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, personally I think you should start making reservations and ordering pizzas under the name "Old Woman Gerty". That's a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may just combine them all and become Kevin the "Ugly Old Woman Gerty." It's still growing on me, but I'm a sucker for a gimmick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the domain is smart (and all my suggestions, of course)
    I'm no web head, but I also think the Standard Theme and the folks at 8bit rock.  Totally.

    It's nice to have a domain that is easy to say, too, when you tell people about it.  Amuseorbemused nearly fails that test, but I went with it anyway cuz I liked it.

    Isleofmanblog.com?

    Isleofmanna.com?

    Peninsulaofman.com?

    theisleofman.com?

    Isleofmanup.com?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Update: As I'm sure most of you have noticed, I've migrated the blog over to a custom domain. The "blogspot" portion of the blog name is no more. "www.isleofman.net" is the new address. Tell a friend!

    ReplyDelete