Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Words With Friends: I may need an intervention


I don't have a lot of free time. I work full-time as a teacher. I write part-time for a mixed martial arts (MMA) website. I'm a full-time husband and fairly new homeowner. 

I recently discovered a game called "Words With Friends." It is essentially "Scrabble" on crack.

(Disclaimer: I am not endorsing crack. It's bad for you. Don't do it. This was merely an analogy. If ever in the future you are not certain if I'm making a comparison to get your attention or actually promoting harmful substances, it's probably the former of the two.)

Anyway.

The game is addictive. You're basically playing "Scrabble" against as many people as you want. When one of your opponents plays a word, you get an alert on your phone (assuming that is the device you're using to play). 

I play all the time. I play when I should be doing important things. It may have even become an idol to me. 

It's interesting how a game can show you things about your friends and family that you didn't previously know. For instance, did you know you can cheat on "Words With Friends?" Oh yeah. You sure can. If you have an iPhone, you can download a program called CheatMaster5000. In short, it solves the whole puzzle for you. You have to do little to none of the work and look like a genius in the process.

If you use it, you're a bad person. I suspect some of you and may have reported you to appropriate authorities.

Do you play "Words With Friends?" Do you have a friend who you suspect might be cheating? Call them out. Right here. I dare you.

7 comments:

  1. Love words with friends. I guess words but I wouldn't use a program. Maybe the same thing but who really uses Qi in a sentence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nobody. The answer is nobody. But you can't tell me you don't get excited when you have a 'Q' in your rack and you see a lonely letter 'I' just hanging out, waiting to be made into a two-letter, 11-point word. We all do. It's almost too easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Michelle, and I am a "Words with Friends"-aholic. I do not use cheats as that would dilute the challenge of my addiction. I, too, get the adrenaline rush at the sight of a lonely "I" next to a TW or TL, even a DW or DL will do. Checking my Droid periodically during the day, this game can consume way too much of my time. Romans 7:13 Did that which is good become death to me? I say all this in jest, of course. But I do love this game! I guess I need to add this to the list of my three loves, but I wil have to do that tomorrow for I must check to see if I have some awaiting "Words with Friends". Michele Kellam.....I wasn't sure how to post this, so I posted it under anonymous??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle - Nicely done. :) Future reference, try using the "Name/Url" posting method. Probably easiest. Thanks for posting and I look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do I put for name and URL? I hope that isnt a dumb question! If so, I will remain anonymous.lol! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a dumb question. In the name portion, just put your name. In the URL portion, you can either ut nothing (leave blank), or paste a link to something like your Facebook profile or a site you like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a great game..Just like me I get addicted with the game words with friends..I always play that on my phone during my past time. Instead of watching TV..I use the ANAGRAMMER to give me hint in times I'm having trouble.

    ReplyDelete