Monday, January 21, 2013

Sometimes, You Just Need to Shut Up



For months, I had little to no work as a freelance graphic artist. There were days when I thought it would never turn around, and I'd need to pick up a pizza delivery job, just to be able to make ends meet.

Things are still pretty tight, but within the past few weeks, business has picked up tremendously. It's been really good.

Then, this weekend, I had an issue with a client. I won't go into details, but it had to do with a check written and the way the client wanted to handle straightening things out.

I was really flustered by the whole thing, and I took to Facebook to vent and get feedback from friends (particularly my fellow freelancers), regarding how they thought I should respond.

The response was loud and clear.

Though they were all very kind and diplomatic with their words of wisdom, the prevailing commentary was essentially a reminder that I should be grateful for having work at all, and that I needed to extend extra grace to the client.

They weren't wrong, and it wasn't rocket science. I guess I just needed to hear it.

It's just remarkable to me that I even did need to hear it, you know? Why can't I be grateful for what I have? Why can't I just grin and bear it and extend grace when people do things that don't merit such a response?

I'm a slow learner, but I'm thankful that God does extend that extra grace to me.

Sometimes, you need to ask for wisdom. Sometimes, you need to surround yourself by friends who care enough to speak truth into your life. Sometimes, you need to slow down and not act hastily.

Sometimes, you just need to shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment