Thursday, October 18, 2012

What a Wedding, a Funeral and a Sick Baby Taught Me about Life

Photo by Creative Commons user Dawnie's cakes

The past couple of weeks has been a veritable "circle of life" for me.

Two Saturdays ago, my little sister got married. It was awesome. I was proud of her. I'm happy for her and her new hubby. It was really a great and happy occasion.

Last week, Kim and I sang at the funeral of a 49-year old man who we used to go to church with. It was sobering. It was too soon. It was totally surreal.

This past weekend, Aidan came down with a serious fever. He had a temperature of over 103 degrees. We were terrified. We were panicked. We were relieved when things started to turn around for him in a positive way.

The Point of It All


The reason I mention all three of these events isn't just to give you a rundown of my past two weeks. It's because they're all significant, and they all acted together in accomplishing one uniform task.

They put things in perspective for me.

We're not here for long. Love your spouse. Hug and kiss them when you don't feel like it. Tell your kids you love them. Be nice.

Don't Let the Sun Go Down


This is all but a vapor in the light of eternity. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed.

Apologize to the guy who you called an idiot because he said he was voting for Obama. Make peace with the person in your class who has been talking about you behind your back. Forgive that family member who hurt you.

We're not here for long.

Who do you need to make peace with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment