Wednesday, May 23, 2012

From the Archives: 'People Who Don't Have Facebook Profiles'

Photo by Flickr user Thos003

Remember Myspace? Believe it or not, it still exists, but you don't hear it talked about much, these days. How about Friendster? The domain is available if you'd like to purchase it.

Then there was Facebook. 

Facebook is everywhere. It has taken over. It's unavoidable. 

Sort of.

There exists a population of people whose number grows smaller every day. They are like unicorns or leprechauns. An urban myth of sorts. 

Who are these people, you ask?

Non-Facebook users.

My mom has a Facebook profile. So does my dad. I'm starting to see Grandmas and Grandpas who are entering the Facebook universe.

Anymore, it's odder to hear that someone is not on Facebook than to hear that they are. Seriously. Who doesn't use Facebook?

I'm always intrigued to hear the reasons that people use for not having a Facebook profile. There are many, but this has to be my favorite:

"I don't have time for Facebook."

Really? Are you that busy and important? You working on curing cancer with poetry? Maybe you're brewing up a recipe for brownies that give eyesight to the blind?


What do you have going on in your life that is so important and time consuming that you can't write up a quick bio, upload a couple of pictures and update your status a few times a week.

Honestly. You can update your status and interact with people on Facebook now using your smartphone. It's as easy as texting.

But you probably are too busy to text too, aren't you?

I guess I just don't understand people who avoid technology or act "too cool" for it. I've never met anyone and thought: "That person is way too cool to be on Facebook. In fact, they should probably create a website devoted solely to them and how awesome they are." 

It just usually weirds me out a little. I'm not impressed. I just think you're avoiding the inevitable and trying to get attention.

Facebook's gonna get ya. It's just a matter of time.



What do you think of people who refuse to get on Facebook?

No comments:

Post a Comment