Thursday, April 12, 2012

Having a Spouse Who Supports Your Dream



That's a picture of my wife. (If you wanna be technical -- and I do --  it's a picture of my son too.) 

She'll probably kill me for posting the picture, but it was a necessary visual. You see, my wife is flat-out AWESOME. As exhibited by the photo, she's gorgeous, beyond words. But that's a given. This is a post where I'm going to brag on my wife, Kim, and it's based on way more than her external looks.

In Jon Acuff's book, Quitter, he made the following profound statement:
“A spouse needs to be on the same page with you and a partner in what you are chasing. You never want to have them on the other side of your dream because the harder you lean into it, the further away you’ll push them.”

If you've ever chased a dream, and, specifically, you've done so while being married, you either know how true this statement is, or you need to realize it.

In the past month or so, I've been cataloging my journey in moving from my day job to my dream job of being a writer/author. I never expected to receive the kind of support I've encountered, thus far.

But, truth be told, as much as I appreciate everyone else's support, it doesn't matter that much if I don't have the backing of my wife. She's my partner in all of this. She's my partner in everything.

I believe she loves me enough to be real with me when I need it. So, when Kim tells me she supports me in a dream, I know it's coming from a sincere place.

Throughout all of this, I've never felt like Kim was on the other side of my dream. If she was, I'd stop pushing. If she ever is, I will give up.

Her support is confirmation that I must not be crazy, and that I'm following God's calling. It's also confirmation that I have an AWESOME wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment