Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Funhouse: Feb. 10, 2012


TGIF!!

It's been a long week. There's been some good, some bad and a little bit of ugly.

After the jump, I'll cover the highs and lows of the past seven days. Hang on to your socks.

ELI MANNING ACQUIRES 'ELITE' STATUS BY BEATING THE PATRIOTS AT SUPERBOWL 46


Before this season, many questioned whether New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning had what it took to be one of the NFL's "elite" QB's. 

Why? I'm not sure, to be honest. The guy has put up historic numbers. "Hall of Fame" numbers, really. He'd already won one Super Bowl MVP award. They don't just give those things out.

Now, he's beat the New England Patriots and Tom Brady twice on the biggest possible stage. He put the team on his back and brought them through to the victory.

You don't have to like this guy, but you have to respect him. Otherwise, truthfully, you just have no idea what you're talking about.

If you missed Eli's and the Giants' performance on Sunday, here are some highlights:



NEW CRAZE CALLED "BRADYING" IS CREATED VIA SUPER BOWL LOSS



This might be a little mean spirited. If you know me, you're not surprised because:

A) I'm a jerk

and


So when I saw this picture, I inevitably loved it like Rob Gronkowski loves taking his shirt off

I'd love it if some of you decide to take pictures of yourselves "Bradying" and linked or uploaded them in the comments section.



SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE HAS SOME FUN WITH LANA DEL REY



On Sat., Jan. 14, 2012, Saturday Night Live (SNL) featured two musical performances by singer Lana Del Rey that drew the ire of critics worldwide.

What was all the fuss about?

To boil it down to peanuts, it was just weird. Really, really, super weird. I watched it with my wife, Kim, and there were several moments where we looked at each other and asked: "Is this for real?"

Apparently, it was.

What is also apparent is that we weren't the only ones who felt this way. If you missed the special performance, here's part of the show:


See what I mean? Super weird.

This past Saturday, the "Weekend Update" crew decided to have a little fun at Del Rey's expense. Check it out:


Hilarious.


HARRY POTTER GETS SNUBBED BY THE OSCARS


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II was one of the highest grossing movies of all time. It broke all kinds of records.

In my opinion, it was and remains one of the best films ever made. I'm a geek. So what? Fight me.

Apparently the "Academy" doesn't share my love of the supernatural. They did not even nominate HP7 for "Best Picture of the Year." They also didn't nominate Harry Potter himself, Daniel Radcliffe, for any awards.

Say what?

Radcliffe wasn't thrilled about it:

"I don't think the Oscars like commercial films, or kids' films, unless they're directed by Martin Scorsese," Radcliffe told the Radio Times. "I was watching 'Hugo' the other day and going, 'Why is this nominated and we're not?' I was slightly miffed."
Radcliffe added: "There's a certain amount of snobbery ... It's kind of disheartening. I never thought I'd care."

Snobbery indeed.


What did I miss? Help us catch up on current events in the comment section!

5 comments:

  1. 1) Bradying = glorious.  Love it.
    2) Lana Del Ray: I'm so glad to hear there were others who thought this was both bizarre and awful!  I was perplexed when I watched it.  The response skit was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I'd never heard of her when she was on SNL, so when she first started singing, I totally thought it was a skit. She sells a lot of albums, so apparently, people "get it." I am not on e of those enlightened individuals. 

    ReplyDelete