Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Baby's first heartbeat: The most beautiful sound ever heard


What's that a picture of, you ask?

No, it's not a still shot of a satellite orbiting the moon. It also isn't a screenshot from an old school Atari video game. 

It's my baby. Edit: It's our baby.

See it now? Can you make out the head? How about the feet "buds?"

Last month, we found our that my wife Kim was pregnant with out first child. It blew my mind. Rocked my world. 

But it's all kinda felt "imaginary" and "pretend," that is until last week...when we had our first ultrasound.

It was the longest 30 to 40 seconds of my life. We waited as the ultrasound technician poked and prodded and steered the camera around, all the while saying absolutely nothing.

Then, she spoke the words:

"There's your baby."

It was old hat to her. She probably says those words 100 times a day. But it was the top news story in my world. 

Then the ante got upped another notch.

She began to play the heartbeat over the speakers in the small room. I'm a musician. I've heard plenty of metronomes and rhythmic tracks. Nothing like this.

Nothing even close.

It was right then and there that it felt real. As I listened to the sound, I feel like I had the realization for the first time that I had helped create a living, breathing human being -- and it was inside my wife.

What if I mess this up?

What if it's a girl and I scar her for life?

What if it has red hair?

(I kid!!)

Either way, we're doing this.



So what do you think of my kid? He takes after Daddy, no? :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I worked at a pregnancy center this past summer and saw a few of these; they were amazing every time.So congrats! And I think the fact that you care that you might "ruin" your child proves that you're more than fit for the job. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement. I just have no idea what to do with little girls. They cry and watch Twilight movies. I'm not equipped. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if it IS a girl you will figure it out. I wasn't sure I'd know how to raise boys, and God, in his infinite wisdom, gave me two of them. So glad he did! Congrat! 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heather. I'm sure it will work out. It just is intimidating. If God wants us to have a girl, I'm sure He'll help me not ruin her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so beautiful. Can't imagine what that sound must feel like. Such a cool moment, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's too cool, bro.  So excited for you and the Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks man! It's a big life change for sure :)

    ReplyDelete