Thursday, December 29, 2011

Putting the Pessimist to Sleep


Is it half-full or half-empty?

The optimist would say it's half-full. He'd say he was grateful for the water that he did have. He'd say every drop was a blessing and that some people didn't have any water at all.

Not me.

It's something that I've always struggled with. I'm a perfectionist. I'm competitive. I strive to be the very best at everything I do. 

That's not always a good thing.

It's not easy to step back from yourself and really take an honest look.

I'm cynical. I hate every commercial. I don't understand why Justin Bieber or any of the Kardashians are famous. I think "planking" is hugely not-amusing or funny. I think your flat-bill ERA hat with the sticker still on it looks stupid.

Sometimes my skepticism gets a laugh or a new reader. Sometimes it annoys people and gets in the way of relationships.

I'm just being me.

I try to tone it down. I wish I were more "sunshine-and-rainbows." I have a critical spirit. I'm working on it.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings in 2012.


Do you have a negative personality trait that you'd like to tame in 2012? 



11 comments:

  1. I need to work on being less optimistic in 2012- maybe we should talk...
    But seriously, I agree that cynicism does have its good sides.  Some people just need their bubbles burst, and in these cases, you're the man for the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right right. But I'm trying to be "that guy" less and less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the year that I will not be an obstacle to myself on my path to achieving my dreams. This is going to be a big year. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that works out for you Heather. I really do. It's easy to be our own worst enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chattiness. And being helplessly sexy.  ;)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty optimistic about things. I think we need both sides. I think that somehow God has designed both sides to need each other. On your own you can be too negative. On my own I can be oblivious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point. It's one of those traits that is a strength until it goes too far. Most traits are like that. Moderation is key.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to be really positive and upbeat, but life has beaten me down so much I have to say I have become more cynical and pessimistic. I don't think that is my true personality, just circumstances, so I think I need to work on changing my circumstances! 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hear you. It can be really tough to be upbeat when it seems like life just keeps raining on your parade. Committing to changing your circumstances is noble. Sometimes, that isn't an option though. I know, for me, I need to learn how to be thankful, even when my circumstances can't be changed. 2012 is gonna be a good year. I can feel it. :)

    ReplyDelete