Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday Funhouse: Dec. 2, 2011


Time to wrap-up another crazy week at "The Isle."

Here's the top news, complete with sarcastic and satirical comments from yours truly.

- THE NBA IS BACK!

So, like a lot of fans, I have mixed emotions about this. I kind've want all these spoiled millionaires to lose out on a season and learn their lesson. The problem with that is multi-layered. First, what about the rookies? I'm down with them having to work at Best Buy because "Melo" and "CP3" can't agree how much their brand is worth. Also, the fans lose by not getting to watch the NBA for a year.

Ultimately, I'm happy. I'll get to watch the Lakers on Christmas. I'll get to see if "The Jimmer" is legit or just a bunch of hype. I'll get to see if the Miami Heat can live up to expectations or melt under the pressure again. I love the NBA and I'm happy they worked out their ridiculous multi-million dollar differences. 

Here's what else happened this week:

- BERNIE FINE IS FIRED BY SYRACUSE



















In the wake of the awful "Jerry Sandusky PSU" scandal, a new and eerily similar story has emerged. Syracuse University Basketball Assistant Coach Bernie Fine was accused of improper conduct by a former ball-boy. Head Coach Jim Boeheim, a long-time personal friend of Fine, denounced the allegations, inferring that they were lies told by someone looking for a payday.

Turns out, Boeheim may have spoken too quickly.

A few days ago, ESPN broke the story that the original accuser had recorded a phonecall between himself and Fine's wife, in which the two discussed the alleged crimes as in a manner that made it sound as if Fine's wife believes that they did occur.

Damning, to say the least.

This isn't a fun story, so it may be out of place in the funhouse. It's still something that happened and hard for me to ignore.

As someone who has taught and coached for six years, I hold a special level of detest for men who perpetrate acts like these. Preying on the weak is evil. This is pure evil.



- PENTATONIX WIN SEASON 3 OF NBC'S "THE SING-OFF"


If you never watched this show and you have any kind of musical inkling, this show is something you need to check out.

It's basically "American Idol" for Acapella groups. Sounds nerdy. I know. That's fine. I've been called much worse.

Honestly though, it's way cooler than it sounds.

The winning group, "Pentatonix," were our (my wife's and my) favorite act on the show. Here's why:





- URBAN MEYER IS THE NEW OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY FOOTBALL COACH


















About a year ago, then Florida University football coach Urban Meyer announced he'd be stepping away from coaching, citing a need to attend to medical issues of his own, as well as a desire to spend more time with his family.

Last week, over the Thanksgiving holiday, a report surfaced that Meyer had agreed, in principle, to accept the job as the new football coach of Ohio State University.

When asked about the rumors, Meyer said there was "absolutely no truth to the reports." Several days later, a press conference was held to announce his official hiring.

At first, I defended him. If he didn't want to answer questions on Thanksgiving about work, that's his prerogative.

But then I thought a bit more about it. If he didn't want to answer questions, he could have just given the standard line: "No comment."

But he didn't.

He gave fake outrage and acted like the reports were fabricated rumors. I don't know. I just have trouble respecting that.

To go further, the whole thing feels less respectable, the more I digest it all.

When he left Florida, it was right at the time that his prized possession, Tim Tebow (now quarterback for the Denver Broncos) was leaving to pro. He was also losing several other noteworthy players. It was going to be a rebuilding period. A rough patch.

When he left, there were rumblings that he was essentially "running away" from a difficult situation. He objected to that, stating that he had serious health and family problems that he needed to deal with.

There's the rub.

A year later, those serious problems are wrapped up neatly with a bow placed on top? I'm sorry, it just seems fishy.

On top of all of that, the OSU job is one of the more prestigious spots in the country. Albeit, its in the midst of a recovery process after the "Jim Tressel-slash-Tyrelle Pryor scandal," but it's still THE Ohio State University. Meyer will have no problems recruiting there.

I'm all about a guy working hard and making good, but I just don't feel like this was handled professionally.



- MAGIC JOHNSON IS STILL ALIVE
















I remember when I first heard Earvin "Magic" Johnson had HIV. I was crushed. He was favorite player on my favorite team (the Los Angeles Lakers). I was eleven years old and living during a time when the term "HIV" sounded like a death sentence. Thanks to crazy advances to medical science and crazy amounts of loot, "Magic" is still with us and smiling as big and bright as ever.

Recently, he sat down with CNN's Piers Morgan (Yep, the mean judge on "America's Got Talent") to discuss what the past 20 years have been like for the former NBA All-Star.



So that's it. What'd I miss? Anything else happen?

How was your week??

5 comments:

  1. I love the sing off, bro. And that's saying something from someone who's not a fan in the least of Idol. Those people have mad skillz (with a Z). Also remember when Magic announced having HIV- we were a crushed household!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sing-off > American Idol. Not even close. When I first heard about the show, I was not interested. It sounded super nerdy. After two season, I'm hooked. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard about Sing-off either, so will have to check that out. Not a fan of Idol or other similar shows, but love acapella music.

    Glad that Magic is doing well, there were a lot of folks infected early that didn't make it.

    Obviously we can't lump everybody into a single category, but it just seems to me that the more "prestigous" the position, the more likely there is for some form of self-aggrandization. The coach who thinks he can abuse his position of trust, athletes who think they should be treated like demi-gods - and don't get me started on the politician, which is what the Urban Meyer situation puts me in mind of, with all the back-door dealing... And then along comes Tebow with his in-your-face defense of his open adoration of Christ - a redeeming light in a cesspool of self-importance.

    Stephen's friend Sharon made these comments. But don't hold that against him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon,

    Fantastic first post! Hope to see more of you around this neck of the woods. I agree that is terrible to see men in positions of authority using their power for evil. Funny you should mention Tebow in the same few sentences as Meyer. Urban was Tebow's college coach and mentor. Interesting, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon you're all up in this blogosphere!! :) You and your big words...

    ReplyDelete