Monday, July 9, 2012

Why I Didn't 'LIKE' Your Status about Jesus: and how I managed to remain a Christian anyway


We've all seen them. The pictures of where two sets of footsteps became one. The statuses that you have to "Like," or else it means you're not a very good Christian.

For example:



Above, is a typical example of a picture that would be posted on Facebook, followed by the disclaimer: "Post this if you love Jesus."

Most of the people who post things like this do, in fact, mean well. I believe that. 

Here's the problem:

First off, posting things on Facebook doesn't take a lot of effort. Copying and pasting something onto your Facebook wall, probably doesn't register with God.

Last time I checked, He doesn't have an account.

Second, it really alienates a lot of people. You may not mean to be saying it, but you send a message that says:

"I'm a better Christian than you are because I posted this on Facebook. If you want to keep up with me and earn brownie points with God, you need to re-post this too."

Finally, it's just really going for the fruit on the low-hanging branch. It's the Christian equivalent of the "That's what she said" joke.

If you want to show Jesus you love Him, bring an elderly person's groceries out to the car for them. Give money to someone when it's hard for you to do it, and you know they need it. Mow your neighbor's lawn.

I'm pretty sure Jesus is fairly unimpressed with your ability to post cliche pictures and sayings on Facebook.

I am too.


Agree or Disagree?

No comments:

Post a Comment