Tuesday, July 3, 2012

TheIsleOfMan.Net Movie Review: 'The Amazing Spider-man'


"With great power comes great responsibility."


That line pretty much sums up the onus that was placed on Sony Pictures when they decided to reboot Spider-man, a movie franchise that has already spun out three movies (featuring Tobey Maguire as the lead) and made quite a good deal of revenue at the box office.

I have to say, though, that when they announced the new take on the series, I welcomed the news.

Call me "Debbie Downer," but I didn't love the first Spider-man trilogy. I particularly loathed the third installment, but who didn't?

So, last night, I hit up the midnight showing with fairly high hopes.

Here's what I thought:

I loved every second of it.

Andrew Garfield was the PERFECT Peter Parker. It was the right amount of awkward, shy, funny and charming, that Maguire was never able to pull off (IMO).

The film itself did a great job of balancing emotions. There was plenty of action, lots of laughs, and dialogue that was well-written and well-performed.

I felt that the entire film was cast perfectly.

In short, I felt like they finally did justice to Spider-man on the "silver screen."

As a kid, I grew up watching all things Spider-man. I read the comics, I watched cartoon -- I love all of it. So it was a big deal to me that they do it the right way when they portrayed the character and the storyline in movie format.

I just never felt like the Maguire trilogy did either of those things. I just never connected.

The Amazing Spider-man delivered and then some. i remember sitting there, near the end of the movie and thinking: "I've waited 32 years for this!"

Sad, probably, but true.

So, in summary, I thought this movie was incredible and recommend it highly. There's really something for everyone.

It's rated PG-13 for the reasons most movies are rated as such. But isn't overly sexual (really not sexual at all), gory, violent or crass (cursing). It's not a movie for younger kids, but you shouldn't be bringing young children to PG-13 movies anyway.


Are you planning on seeing The Amazing Spider-man?

No comments:

Post a Comment